Tuesday, June 28, 2011

MUSINGS FOR JUNE

I just can't let the month slip by without at least one post making its way to the blog....

We were on a trip May 24 - June 17, and it has been a whirlwind ever since. But I am trying to reconnect with life as lived in this plane....

I've decided I don't want to be gone for June in the future. I missed most of the blooming season for my purple irises. And the grass...well, this was a year things grew abundantly. Al tilled under his garden to start over...it was that bad!

But I loved the journey while we were on it.

While we were away, for my devotions I continued my reading of The Revelation of John, then moved on to James, and after a few scattered potluck readings, decided on Romans. I'm still in Romans. Today my reading was Romans 12. What an amazing chapter. I loved re-reading it. It's been a long time since I read Romans through. I love that it is both familiar and fresh! I love that God speaks through His written Word with nudgings and affirmations that are specific for where I am today! And I love the memory of the verses as they've influenced my life in the past.

So much water has gone under the bridge since I wrote last....I can't possibly cover it all....

On our trip I also completed a book titled OLD LAND NEW LAND by Theodor Herzl - his novel promoting a revived Israel before it ever came true. In that light, it was fascinating reading. I actually started the book when I was in Israel in February....thought it would be good companion reading for the reality of being there....but after I came home, was immersed in other reading, and only just got back to it on this trip.

And I read NEXT DOOR SAVIOR by Max Lucado.... I don't agree with all of his 'takes' but it was a quick read.

On the journey I also read WHAT I LEARNED AFTER I KNEW IT ALL (The Stories Grandpa Tells) written by Phil Wayman. I only knew Phil in his waning years - but his love for the Lord glowed through every pore - and it was fun to read his stories and observations of life.

I'm presently reading a book by Linfield Crowder, THE THERAPEUTIC VALUE OF SPEAKING IN TONGUES. Doc Crowder was a familiar Youth Camp speaker, and Evangelist in my growing-up years. My dad was a true fan of Doc's. Doc touched my life as a kid - and is now again through his writing.

I am reminded how interconnected we are with people who touch our lives in various ways and at various junctures of life. Both of these men were faithful followers who have gone to be with the Lord in the recent past. The words that leap to mind are, "Well done, good and faithful servants. Enter into the joy of the Lord."

I'm so grateful for the witness of faith and faithfulness of those I remember who've influenced my life. I need to make a list of my heroes of the Faith.... The list will include multiple pastors and pastors wives. One of the most notable influences in my young Christian walk was Loveta Buhler. In college, Esther Pecota. I have my present heroes of the faith as well....and I am so grateful for people who walk by faith, and demonstrate letting the Lord direct their paths.

Faith isn't faith until it is challenged and tested - and I am so grateful for those who demonstrate that their faith is genuine by growing through testing, rather than being overwhelmed by it....

I know dear people of God who are enduring that testing right now...and my prayers are with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment