Monday, January 16, 2012

I HAVE A DREAM....

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr was born January 15, 1929 – and died April 4, 1968. His most well known speech was one he made during the 'March on Washington' in August of 1963. (I was 17 years old at the time and had just graduated from High School in May of that year.)


The most frequently quoted sentence from what came to be known as his ‘I Have A Dream’ speech given during that march is, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”

It was and is a laudable dream. Character matters. In fact, it is noteworthy timing that we have this as a very present reminder.

I have been reading the Old Testament book of Daniel. Daniel had character. He is a perfect model for demonstrating what character looks like. He was faithful to his beliefs in spite of opposition. He had incredible integrity and remarkable character. Character is not something that is created in times of trouble; character is revealed in times of trouble.

We need those who have committed to lead our state to demonstrate that quality of character. It takes courage to stand for what is right when it is in opposition to the growing trend to bend to the pressure of politically correct perspectives. Integrity and honor demand that courage!

I, too, have a dream. It is a dream for people to treat people well in spite of differences, yet standing firm in matters pertaining to Biblical truths and teachings. In reality, I know the fulness of my dream will not be realized until I reach heaven's shore - but it's alright to have the dream!

Other selected quotes credited to Martin Luther King, Jr:


“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”


“Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable…. Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.”


“A man who won’t die for something is not fit to live.”


(I would state that last one a bit differently, i.e., "Having something worth dying for makes life worth living." Or "Live for something that is worth dying for." But I understand what he is saying!)

No comments:

Post a Comment