Tuesday, August 12, 2014

ROBIN WILLIAMS

"Carpe diem.  Seize the day.  Make your life extraordinary."

I know they were memorized words from a script - but they were words Robin Williams spoke in the film DEAD POETS SOCIETY.  

I went to bed feeling deep, deep sadness for the choice that Robin made to end his life.  He who brought so much joy to others through comedic relief didn't find joy in his own life, and ended it by his own hand.  A sad, tragic loss.  

I agonize for his family and others who loved him on a personal level.   I know what it feels like to be the child of suicide:  the if only's, the what if's, the maybe's...and when someone so dearly loved internationally chooses this way out of personal depression the model creates a risk for others to take the same self-absorbed way out.   (And suicide is self-absorbed.  None of us truly live just to ourselves.  We are interconnected.  Our lives matter to someone - - even perhaps to many someone's.)

I hate suicide!  Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.  Even long term depression is temporary in light of eternity.  

The only answer for life's deepest struggles is Jesus.  I know that a lot of people will be tempted to end their own pain with Robin's choice as their permission.  Don't do it.  Get help.  Eternity weighs in the balance.   

What happened is tragic.  My prayer is that God will redeem this horrible situation for good in others' lives - - that people who are in depression and in need of help will seek the only One who can meet life's deepest sorrows.  Truly, the Light of the World is Jesus.  

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.  John 3:16.  

God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.  He who has the Son has life, but he who does not have the Son does not have life.  I John 5:11-12

I am the Way, the Truth and the Life.  No one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6

Salvation is found in no one else.  For there is no other name...by whom we must be saved  Acts 4:12

Cast all your cares on Him, for He cares for you.  1 Peter 5:7

Find a Bible believing church.  Find a Christian counselor.  Get help.  God truly cares - and Jesus is the answer to all of life's dilemmas!  Seize the day.  Make your life extraordinary with God's help.  We can't do it alone!

(My mother committed suicide when I was 7 1/2 years old.  I speak from experience.  It is a horrible ending to grapple with for those left behind.  I am sharing this hoping someone who reads it will choose life - - not just living longer, but true life - - by asking Jesus into your life and circumstances; reading your Bible, praying, finding the fellowship of Christian believers in a Bible-believing church so you dan grow Spiritually.  I believe someone is meant to read this - - that God will use it for good in your life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment