Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 7 leading to Easter

I started the morning with a 3 1/2 year old popping into our bed for awhile - regaling us with her view of the world. She had her Papa (Grandpa) in stitches. Then pancakes, animal waffles (yes, it was like a short-order kitchen), braiding one's hair in french braids, teeth-brushing and off to explore for awhile....so I'm sneaking this moment to maintain my commitment to blog daily in this pre-Easter journey.

Matthew 9 is my passage for Day 7. I'm so glad I chose Matthew! And so glad I was inspired to begin a blog at this juncture. I'm not writing for an audience - but am obviously writing so others who may choose can read it.... I have one signed-up follower (my daughter) and one stated follower whose name doesn't show up - but she told me she is - and a few others who popped in for at least a day - so I know the potential is there - and my prayer is that if there are readers, they will enjoy sharing the bit of the journey that they share....

Again, so much to munch on! What the paralytic obviously wanted was physical healing - but Jesus gave him so much more - and took care of the most important issue first - the forgiveness of his sins. Next I note that in response to the man's healing, people praised God for what Jesus did. I need to remember that - to affirm the person's obedience to God, certainly, but to give my praise to God, not to man. And then there is Matthew. A Jew who worked for the Romans - an outcast to his own people, and merely used as a pawn by the other....and Jesus 'chose' him. Each of these moments is a lesson of who Jesus is - and I love the reminders, but my heart gravitates to the woman with the issue of blood.

Twelve long years she had suffered. Dr. Luke tells us that no one could heal her - a detail a doctor would pay attention to in relating the story.

This woman was desperate. After all, she barged into the procession as they were following Jesus on his way to heal Jairus' daughter. Sounds a little self-centered, actually - but her hope and her need compelled her. She had been isolated and ostracized for 12 long years. Because of her issue she couldn't go to public worship. She was unclean. No one could even sit in the same chair she used or sleep in the same bed without risk of also becoming unclean. (Leviticus 17)

She shouldn't have been in a crowd. That was against the rules, too, because anyone she touched became ceremonially unclean - - and to make matters worse, she intended to put them - - and Jesus - - at risk for uncleanness. She was desperate, desperate, desperate! It appears that she thought she could just sneak in from behind for a silent healing - - if only she could just touch the hem of his garment! How did she know that? How many times had she stayed just far enough away from the crowd to honor ceremonial law, and watched him heal others? We aren't told how she came to faith - but she did! It was no longer just a hope, a 'he could if he wanted to' belief.

Matthew just doesn't give us the whole story - so I have to go to Luke for this one.... Dr. Luke tells us that as soon as she touched his cloak she was immediately healed. But Jesus had more for her that day. He engaged her in conversation - allowed her to make a public profession of her healing - and reinstated her to society by that proclamation. She came for what she wanted. He gave her what she needed. I just love the model of His outrageous grace, and that he knows better than we do just what we need.

Humor for the day:

A teacher came up to a little girl in her class during art and asked her what she was drawing.

She answered, "God."

The teacher said, "Oh, honey, no one knows what God looks like."

And the child replied, "They will when I'm through."

1 comment:

  1. I signed up as a follower but it doesn't show that I did. I'm enjoying this series leading up to lent very much. Genny B.

    ReplyDelete