Friday, April 6, 2012

JOURNEY TO RESURRECTION, Day 39


I just watched a music video that portrays Jesus on His walk to the cross.... It was posted on a blog I read every entry of...and I borrowed it and posted the song to Facebook in honor of Good Friday. I'd post it here, too, but I'm not a savvy techie, and I don't now how to do that.

I only woke up once in the night last night - because the dog was barking. In +-33 AD, approximately 1979 years ago, Jesus got no sleep at all.

The Jewish Friday began at 6 p m on what is Thursday evening to us. In 2010, the first year I wrote a blog, I took 10 days to cover all that happened that day, most of it under 'Backtracking to Good Friday' headings. This morning I went back and read some of what I wrote and it made me cry.

What a horrible awful day! Good for us - and because it was good for us, He suffered beyond belief.... He was tried illegally and unfairly, beaten mercilessly until He was beyond recognition, thrown into a dark pit during part of the night, bleeding and alone, slugged, spat on, ridiculed ....rejected.

One of the most memorable spots for me when we visited Israel in February 2011 was the pit beneath St Peter En Gallicantu Church (Church of the Crowing Rooster). Originally it had just one entrance - a small hole at the top just large enough to lower a person through. Now, there are openings carved out so it can be viewed - and there are stairs down into it, and lighting.... But standing down in the pit with eyes closed the emotions are overwhelming. Just a few days before He was acclaimed by the crowds as King; and the pit - a part of His reality during that awful night - is a representation of the rejection He experienced, while led back and forth between those who should have been instruments of justice. He became a prisoner, so He could set captives free....

Even Peter denied Him. Jesus warned Peter ahead of time that he would, and I have no doubt that Peter vowed not to let Jesus' words come true - but they did!

During His night of trials, Jesus was interviewed by Pilate, who rightfully found no fault in Him. Thinking he was being very clever, Pilate offered the crowd the opportunity to free Jesus as part of their adopted custom of Passover. Shockingly, they chose Barabbas.

Jesus' responses to Pilate's questioning (recorded for us in John 18) affirmed Jesus was King, but His kingdom was not of this world. It was the purpose for which He came into the world - to bring salvation to mankind and rule in the hearts of man.

As an old song states, "A rugged cross became His throne. His Kingdom was in hearts alone. He wrote His love in crimson red, and wore the thorns upon His head."

For this He came....

Song lyrics flood through my mind:

Jesus paid it all. All to Him I owe
Sin had left a crimson stain
He washed it white as snow.

What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!
Oh precious is the flow
That makes me white as sow
No other fount I know
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!

And a little chorus God gave me in +-2000: (to a calypso beat!)
I don't deserve Your love. I don't deserve the life you have reserved for me.
I don't deserve Your love. I don't deserve the grace with which You set me free.
I don't deserve that You, the Son of God, died on the cross for me.
I don't deserve Your love, but thank you, Lord, that You give it to me - so freely!
I don't deserve Your love, but than You, Lord, that You give it to me.

Thank You for the cross, Lord....and thank You that IT IS FINISHED!

No comments:

Post a Comment