Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Hosea & Peter

In our 'small group' - - which is in reality an adult Sunday School Class called Understanding the Times, we just started a study of the book of Hosea.

It had never occurred to me before how reluctant Hosea might have been to obey God's command - - or how he would look to his friends in his obedience.  What a hard thing - - to marry someone who had all of the makings for being unfaithful; then name your children birthed by her such horrific names as messages to the people he prophesied to - - the chosen, the children of Israel.

Because of having just read the names of 2 of his children:  translated "No Mercy" and "Not my people", yesterday when I was sorting through the plethora of emails which accumulated during our 6-week absence, I found one of the "Love Notes From God" that quoted 1 Peter 2:10 in the KJV:  "Which in time past were not a people but are now the people of God:  which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy."

My interest was immediately piqued!  Peter was writing very specifically to the people who had been mentioned in Hosea - - those who once were "No mercy" and "Not my children" who were now children of God - - His people!  And now recipients of His mercy!  I loved the timing of the connection.  I love God's WORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment