Saturday, January 15, 2011

PATIENCE AND PERSEVERANCE 1




(These photos are 2 of the many I took this fall in Colorado. They represent a very minor example of patience and perseverance. I had to walk very slowly to get into position to take pictures, so I wouldn't spook them. When we first saw the mountain sheep - we were a long way off and completely behind them.)

It's actually a little amusing that just in writing a title I know this topic is going to be revisited - so I named today's entry appropriately before even beginning to write.

At the beginning of January I started reading Genesis. It's been awhile since I read Genesis from beginning to end, and I thought that was a good way to start this year. I love Genesis - "In the beginning GOD...." That succinctly spells out what matters most to me. I don't care how long it took, just that God did it.

After reading for several days in Genesis, I changed course. In preparation for my impending trip to Israel I decided to re-read Isaiah. It hasn't been too long since I read through Isaiah - but I'm reading it more deeply this time - and with purpose because of the journey I will soon be on.

I read Isaiah 7 yesterday - - and went back to it again today to do some cross-referencing and to dig deeper. Isaiah is exciting to read - and I am very excited by what I am paying attention to today!

Ahaz was a direct descendant of David. David had been promised that his kingdom would never end - because the promised Messiah would come through his lineage. Yet, here we have one of his descendants trying to manipulate leaders for his purposes - and then shaking in his boots with fear when two other armies determined to come against him, destroy him and place someone else on the throne (who wasn't from David's line.)

Through Isaiah, God tells Ahaz not to fear - that their schemes will not come to pass - and that within 65 years, those who are threatening Ahaz won't even be a people any longer. Wow!

And then, out of this confrontation between Isaiah and Ahaz, God defines HIS plan:

"...the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel." (Isaiah 7:14). Isaiah goes on to tell of disaster that will plague his chosen people...which all came true.

But, what grips me is that this specific prophecy of the virgin bearing a son was made about 735 years before it came true. That's a long time to wait.

What I need to pay close personal attention to here involves patience, perseverance, faithfulness - and faith. God will do what He says He will do. I don't have to know how He will accomplish it. I just have to place complete trust in Him - and trust His timing. My role is to partner with Him as He leads, not attempt to give Him advice about how and when He should accomplish His work!

He is Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End. He will accomplish His purpose - in His time. Lord, Your will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment