Monday, October 8, 2012

BEAUTIFUL FALL COLORS - BUT WE NEED RAIN!






This weekend I attended a 'Girlfriend's Getaway' Retreat for the women of the church I attend - Faith Assembly of Lacey.  It was a good retreat - with wonderful bonding opportunities and great times of prayer and hearing from the Lord.  Along the journey home, I noticed how spectacular the Fall colors are this year - - and this tree in front of my house proclaims that, so I am sharing it!   I didn't take many pics over the weekend - - most are just of the indoor rock climb (which I posted on Facebook).  But after I had been home  for a couple of hours and I noticed how gloriously beautiful this tree is, which is out by the tractor at the entrance to our circular drive, I grabbed my camera and headed out for a picture postcard shot!

This is the longest dry spell ever recorded in Western Washington for as long as records have been being kept.  We have had no significant measurable precipitation in Olympia since +-July 20.  The info online says there was a trace on July 22, and .04 inches total in August....which must have been condensation from fog, because we certainly didn't have anything dripping off of the rail on the deck, which is how we identify measurable or memorable precipitation!  Multiple times rain has been promised in the long-range forecast, only to have it altered by the time the date arrived, with rain-producing clouds veering off to the north steered away from us by prevailing winds. 

Forest fires popping up as close as Shelton, where trees are more accustomed to the threat of root rot from soggy feet, brings the threat of risk all too close to home!  We have expected the fires for Central Washington where trees have been killed in massive numbers because of a beetle infestation - - deaths preventable by spraying to kill the beetles, which foolishly was not done.  But that's another soapbox! 

But Western Washington - - the epitome of green for the Evergreen State - - has never been more at risk in all of recorded history.  We expect earthquakes.  We don't expect tinder-dry conditions that can wipe out forests in moments, with healthy trees bursting into flame!  None of us want to complain about having too much beautiful weather!  This is an unusual, but primarily welcome, event!  But we need rain!  There I said it!  But until it comes - - enjoy!  Soak up the sunshine and the Vitamin D!  And when the rains return, rejoice! 

Spiritually I see the long span of dry weather like a mountain top experience, when we feel so incredibly blessed by the sunlight of God's love  - - but we need the valleys in life to develop tenacity, fortitude,  endurance, faithfulness in spite of circumstances.  That's when we grow!

I love looking out my window and seeing the sun, but I realize how much we need the rain.  We need balance.  We need both!

Holy Spirit, rain down.

No comments:

Post a Comment