Friday, April 2, 2010

DAY 41: JESUS DIED

Jesus died at about 3 p m

3:01 p m
My heart is heavy with all He suffered - and my time is diverted against my will. Just as He was being betrayed last night - I was trying to fall asleep (@12:30 A M.) It was a horrible day for Him - and we call it Good Friday. I wonder who decided that day was good... This morning I thought it should be Black Friday. It was a day of Sorrow - - horrible, terrible, awful sorrow

But there was one who hung beside him on another cross who joined Him in Paradise - - in equivalent time, as I am writing. It is April 2 for us - but that year of 33 A D, this was April 3 and He died at 3 p m. What a 'trinity' pattern - even in his death! Jesus bore it all. All to Him I owe. Sin had left a crimson stain - He washed it white as snow.

More later....for now I will respond to the diversions - - with this heavy on my heart.

+- 6:00 p m
Reading for today:

Matthew 26:47-27:66
Mark 14:43-15:47
Luke 22:47-23:56
John 18:2-19:42
Acts 1:18


Final seven things Jesus said:
Luke 23:34
Luke 23:43
John 19:26-27
Matthew 27:46 / Psalm 22:1
John 19:28
John 19:30
Luke 23:46

When I survey the wondrous cross...how awful those words sound to me in this moment. It was an awful, horrible, cruel cross on which the Prince of Glory died. There is no making it palatable if you look upon Him, wounded, bleeding, chunks of flesh missing from his body, wrenched out by metal pieces in the whip that tore out his flesh during the lashing he endured. His head pierced with the mock crown of thorns that was pressed into his flesh and left to fester. Just one prick of a thorn is enough to elicit pain for me. Ridiculed, mocked, insulted, hit, spat upon - - The Lord of Glory - - the Creator of the Universe.

Yet in his deepest grief, we see his care for those he loves: telling Peter, 'When you come back....' Peter would fall away - would denounce His friend and Master...but Jesus knew the future, and his words would encourage Peter one day to stand faithfully. Peter who would also die on a cross, but refuse to be right side up according to history - because he didn't consider himself worthy to die in the same manner Jesus did....

9:30 p m
I just came home an hour ago from a Good Friday Service.... I have snatched a couple of moments to write today - but not at all what I expected. I have to get up at 2:45 a m - but I will offer just a few closing thoughts for today.

Jesus thoughts were for others when He was on the cross. He asked forgiveness for the perps, knowing in his darkest hour, that they didn't have a clue.

He told the thief hanging next to Him, he would be with Jesus that day in Paradise. And He said, "It is finished." He did what he came to do. He wished for it to be otherwise, but determined to do God's will....

The truth is - today was a day without time for what I wanted to prioritize. I didn't get to read my passages that I so carefully laid out several weeks ago, and saved for today. But this is a part of the story I am familiar with. I will read them. I will live them through again - - but tonight, while He is in Paradise, and His body is lying in a cold, dark tomb with guards outside it, I will sleep in His peace.

1 comment:

  1. I've been enjoying following along on this journey. I was wondering why you didn't include the garden scene, the betrayal and the trial. Not enough time? Too many distractions? Or some other reason? I know at one point you did discuss what may have been Judas's motive for betrayal... other than greed. I found that interesting. Thanks for a great blog. Genny

    ReplyDelete