Thursday, April 29, 2010

POST RESURRECTION APPEARANCES (Part 3)

To 7 of the Apostles by Sea of Tiberias/ Galilee – Catch of Fish:

Reading for today
John 21:1-25

John is the only one who shares this story. Again, as I keep saying – I trust John’s version a lot more because he was present. I know that now – 1977 years later – there are people who have decided John wasn’t the author – but I believe he was. I believe he was an eyewitness – and that his record is true….

I have a lot of reminders in life about the difference of ‘being an eyewitness’ – or only hearing stories through another person’s eyes. That reality in my own life makes me pay attention more closely when I believe the person sharing the story was actually there. Oh, I know even at the scene of an accident each witness present is going to see and remember the events differently – but being there means something. Knowing what actually went on – not what we’ve been told with too many layers between – means something.

That’s why this story as reported has so much meaning for me. John was there.

I love this whole story. It is so amazing. John reports that this was the third time Jesus had appeared to the disciples since his resurrection. So – according to my very reliable source, John, Jesus had appeared on Resurrection Sunday to them in a closed room behind a closed door +-April 5 that year); had appeared precisely one week later when Thomas was present (+-Sunday, April 12 that year); and now – this third time by Lake Galilee.

I’ve been to Lake Galilee, specifically to Tiberias, on the shore of Lake Galilee, which is also called Lake Tiberias, Lake Genessaret, and Lake Kinneret. I’ve ridden in a boat that replicates one like they would have fished from in the years encompassing the 33 A D era. It makes it all so visual.

But – what I love about this story is what Jesus did for Peter. Peter was still the same, impetuous Peter we’ve grown to know and love – the Peter who cut off the ear of Caiphas’ servant, Malchus; the Peter who vowed to ‘even die’ with Jesus – then turned cowardly and ran tearfully into the early morning of that dreadful Friday morning so recently past.

Yep – the Peter who denied he even knew Jesus – 3 times, just as Jesus said he would. Now – Jesus lets Peter make that up – redeems it – with 3 affirmations of his love – but this time Jesus makes it clear that he knows just what Peter is capable of promising. We lose that in the English translation. All we see is the word love. But in the original, Jesus asks him, “Do you agape me?” And Peter replies “You know that I phileo you.” Peter had learned his lesson. He was not capable of God’s total complete unconditional agape love – certainly not in his own strength…and now he knew that. But he did love – he loved with phileo love – brotherly love – the same kind of love defined by Philadelphia – ‘the City of brotherly love’.

So Jesus replied to Peter, ‘Feed my lambs.”

A second time Jesus asked, “Simon son of John, do you truly agape-love me?”

Again Peter replied, “Yes, Lord, (you who see and know all things) – You know that I phileo you,” And Jesus says, Take care of my sheep.”

The third time Jesus asks him, he changes his question to phileo. He asks Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you phileo me?” John says that Peter was hurt by the question. I’m not so sure he reported that accurately. John may have been infusing how he’d feel with what Peter felt – I’m just not sure. But – what I do know is that Jesus questioned Peter that time with the kind of love Peter was capable of committing to. Peter had learned his limitations. And this time, Peter acknowledged what we all acknowledge: You know all things, and a 3rd time he professed his phileo love to Jesus.

How many times did he deny him? 3 times.

How many times did Jesus insist he affirm his love? 3 times.

I love, love, love that the Lord redeemed Peter’s words.

Peter, and this story, are why I believe in Jesus Christ. If Jesus had just died and stayed dead, like Nietzsche would like to have you believe – there would be no Christianity worth its salt. We would be just like followers of Islam – following a dead prophet to a dead end. But – Jesus – raised again from the dead, met on this specific day with his disciples on the shore of Lake Galilee, took Peter aside and reinstated him to complete restoration – redeemed what he had done, and gave him his marching orders for what he was to do to live out that faith: feed my lambs, take care of my sheep, feed my sheep. And our author – who was following along close enough to hear – tells us about it. Thanks, Peter. Thanks, John. Thank you, Lord.

Wa-hoo!!!!!! I love this touchstone to our Christian heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment