Sunday, July 25, 2010

HOME AGAIN!

This weekend marked the 10th gathering of 1960's-era students who attended Northwest College - now University.... Well, '60's era plus a few additions....

I have not made it to all of them - - but have loved being there for most of them, beginning with my first gathering at the home of Dale and Phyllis Larson.... Their kind hospitality made it easy to feel welcomed, and created a trust level for going again the next year. That reunion took us to Molalla, Oregon, to the home of Ray and Becki Sparre - a very special , memorable time - again filled with welcome - and then because Elvin Huston had a relationship with his former Sunday School teacher in Sedro Woolley, our next gathering was at Danny and LaVonda Vandenburg's private campground - and we've been going back ever since annually in July for what Ray Sparre dubbed 'a blessed reconvergence.'

The participants fluctuate a bit each year - - but it is always a wonderful time of reconnecting; and relationships are being forged through the reunions - not just with who we knew in college - and that is an additional blessing. We take our trips down memory lane - that is true - but we also share the present - what is going on in each others' lives and ministries...and it is a precursor of the joy heaven will offer.

It was hard at first for me to go. My perfect plan of changing the world didn't happen the way I planned. I blew it - ruined a good friendship by marrying the guy - got a divorce - felt like I was the only failure in the whole school.... So - connecting was hard at first. Even though I had recommitted my life to the Lord within 2 years after walking away from Him, I gave wide berth to friendships of the past, afraid of further rejection - but God had a bigger plan. Not just for me, but for many who needed to find the comfort of His amazing grace and healing in reconciling past with present. He forgave freely - and His mercy was extended. He paid the price for my sin and offered pardon without recrimination - but dealing with people.... That was harder. Joyfully, God's grace extended even there....

Every person I've talked to who has been willing to step beyond their fears and step toward the loving arms of welcome have been joyfully accepted. It is healing and wonderful - and such a testimony of what heaven will be.

God has used everything that has ever happened to me for His glory - redeemed it by allowing me to help someone else along the way because of pain I suffered....and through the N C reunions, He has affirmed that. A few people appear to have made it through to this point unscathed, without making huge mistakes, and I applaud their commitment and faithfulness - but those of us who faltered or failed and have recommitted are also blessed, because we are very aware how much God has done for us, and we are his arms extended - - a model of His grace, beckoning others: come, be blessed, receive the comfort of friends who care and share the journey...who share a history together...who share roots. We're family! Weekends like this affirm that reality!

If the Lord doesn't return before July 2011, come....

1 comment:

  1. It was delightful to see everyone at the reunion and especially you! It is a wonderful, warm, welcoming time! Genny

    ReplyDelete