Monday, September 13, 2010

GREAT WEEKEND






What a wonderful weekend.

[A brief observation: After I posted the pictures I noticed that it puts them into the blog from the last first.... So what I talk about earliest comes last in the photos, FYI.]

Al is gone hunting, so while the cat's away the mouse must play....well, sort of!

Friday morning I went up to Puyallup to go to the 'Cattle Drive' and the opening day of The Puyallup Fair with my daughter and youngest grandaughter. I got some great pictures. I posted 101 of them on Facebook! I posted 5 here!

Before I arrived, Erin told Bryn (who is 4), "Yo is coming up today." (I am Yo to my grandkids, in case that wasn't apparent.)

"I know," replied Bryn.

"How do you know?" Erin responded, surprised.

And Bryn replied, "I know lots of four-year-old things and that's one of the four-year-old things that I know."

That girl keeps us in stitches!

The cattle drive and the parade were delightful - - and we got all of the animal looking and smelling we needed for the year. As an added treat, we saw our friend, Neil and his wife, Lore. He was a friend of Al's family before I ever met Al - and we enjoyed a nice visit. Later I ran into Meghan Black of King 5 - that was fun! Check my Facebook page if you want to see us together.

Erin, Bryn and I shared one elephant ear ($6.50) - but opted to go to Costco for lunch after our Fair time. Fair food is way too expensive! Just before we left the Fairgrounds we went into the Fred Oldfield Museum. I recognized his name because my friend, Carla, has talked about him so many times - - that he was a family friend. We met Fred. He is a genuinely talented artist - and equally genuinely 'really nice' guy! What a treat!

Friday night a friend and I went to a very humorous play at the Olympia Little Theater that my neighbor gal is performing in. I wanted to go to support Kristina - - but to my delight, Evelyne wanted to go too, to see someone she knew who was in it - - and it was just one of those wonderful moments that God sometimes allows us.... The play had some great lines, well delivered, by the way.

Our nephew, Darold, called Saturday morning to say he had shot a 5 X 5 elk opening day of hunting season! Elk hunters will appreciate that bit of good news!

Saturday evening I went to church - - since I wasn't going to be there Sunday morning - - and when I got home, our youngest daughter was here, so Kami and I watched a movie together and got to bed very late....

Sunday was another day filled with treats. Erin and her 3 girls met Kami and I enroute and traveled to Montesano together to go to a special event at Montesano Presbyterian Church where I went to church for 30 years - - and the only church the girls ever attended until they headed off to college. The church was dedicating its long-awaited new fellowship hall, which includes a wonderful, new kitchen, new & larger bathrooms, new office for the pastor - that more than 1 person can squeeze into. It's wonderful, practical, beautiful, and offers them the opportunity for more ministry options. They are beginning an AWANA program in another week! While the new addition was wonderful - - I went for the people. The big surprise of the day was honoring Steve Fischback and his wife, Carol, for 20 years of ministry in and contribution to the City of Montesano. The first 10 of those years, I was there. I adored Steve and Carol, and they are cherished friends. Two of their boys were able to come - all grown up and so much fun to see. I had not been back to a worship service in Montesano for 10 years - and it was wonderful to be there - - to see people -- to collect hugs.

We stopped briefly to say hi to a neighbor lady who is now 95. She didn't remember us. I didn't expect her to. I've stopped to see her a couple of times in that 10 years since we left Montesano, and she remembered before - - but 95. I don't even expect to live to be 95.

And - before we left town we stopped to see Carla, who was one of my best friends in Monte. Our lives don't cross paths much now - but I treasure the memories. I came home full to the brim with hugs and love and remembered joys!

Every day, of course, I have begun my day immersed in The Psalms. Highly recommended reading - in case you haven't done that for awhile!!!!

God is good! I am filled to the brim with His goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment