Thursday, October 20, 2011

2 TIMOTHY AND LIVES WHO TOUCH

In my sequential reading of Paul's letters, I have reached the final book. The suggested order of his writings, as gleaned from the intro commentary in my 1985 NIV determined the order in which I read the books:

1 Thessalonians - written from Corinth c.+- AD 51
2 Thessalonians - written from Corinth about 6 months later - c. +- Late 51 or early 52
1 Corinthians - written from Ephesus - c. +-Spring AD 55
2 Corinthians - written from Macedoni - c. +- Winter AD 55-56
Galatians - written from Ephesus or Macedonia - c. +- AD 57 (Some say 48 - 49)
Romans - written from Corinth or Cenchrea - c. +- early Spring AD 57
Ephesians - from Rome (in prison) +- AD 60
Colossians - from Rome (in prison) +- AD 60
Philemon - from Rome (in prison) +- AD 60
Philippians - from Rome (in prison) +- AD 61
1 Timothy - most likely from Macedonia (?) - c. +- AD 63 - 65
Titus - written from Corinth - c. +- AD 63 - 65
2 Timothy - written from Rome (imprisoned by Nero) c. AD 66 - 67

His writings spanned approximately 16 years, and began after his first missionary journey.

Prior to the writing of his 'prison letters' he had been in prison numerous other times, as well as suffering through many other abuses, which he lists in 2 Corinthians (ESV):

22Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they offspring of Abraham? So am I. 23Are they servants of Christ? I am a better one—I am talking like a madman—with far greater labors, far more imprisonments, with countless beatings, and often near death. 24Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; 26on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; 27 in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. 28And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches. 29 Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to fall, and I am not indignant?

As for Paul's timeline, information I found online at www.blueletterbible.org* suggests he was born about 5 AD. His conversion on the road to Damascus occurred +- 34 AD. After very brief mentions about Paul that are placed in 37 AD, he drops out of sight completely until +- 47 AD.

Some sources say that his first letter was Galatians, and they place it around 48 AD, but I didn't learn that until well into my reading schedule, so the list reflects my earliest information - and the order I read the letters, even though my order may not reflect reality.

All sources do agree on most of the order and that 2 Timothy was his final letter...in fact these are his final words, for it was very soon after writing 2 Timothy that he was martyred under Nero. (And not long after Paul's death, Nero committed suicide.*)

But what struck me most saliently today was the lives he touched - and those who touched his, and that reminded me that it is the same for us. There are people who come into our individual lives who touch us indelibly. I am so grateful for the witness of others whose lives have been lived faithfully. They are my cloud of witnesses. My list includes pastors and pastor's wives, Sunday School teachers and youth leaders, friends, inspirational testimonies and speakers, and yes, even Paul.

There was a period of time in my life when I avoided Paul. I, quite honestly, found some of his personal views annoying and frustrating...but now I can accept him as human. As with all of us, he wrote from the experience of his journey and his filters. Most of what he wrote is encouraging, challenging, and the Holy Spirit witnesses to my spirit that he was writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. But - he's human, and a few of his personal biases are inserted. I can forgive him for being human. In fact, it's refreshing. Even Paul, the great apostle, had his weaknesses. But his faithfulness through the myriad of difficulties he faced is an incredible testimony to the reality of what he experienced on the Damascus Road.

The first news this morning was that Muammar Gaddafi had been captured - possibly killed. The online news includes a video of his blood-soaked body surrounded by angry people. In one sense it brings relief. In another sense sadness. No matter how evil someone is, there is hope as long as there is life. I'd rather people's lives were turned upside down for Christ - just like Paul's was. That desire reflects God's heart. He doesn't want anyone to perish. Of course, I cannot judge what the last moments of Gaddafi's life might have brought him to confess. That is in God's hands.... And, though I absolutely believe in the possibility of deathbed conversions, deep inside, I suspect he died as he lived.

There is such a marked difference when someone who has lived life for the Lord leaves this world for their eternal home. I am readily reminded of the contrast, having just learned this morning of the death of a woman who stepped into eternity knowing Jesus.

Like this woman, and like Paul, that's the death I am determined to embrace. (And, I'm still hoping He just returns first!) Like I've often said, "I know where I'm going, I'm just not in any rush to get there." I still have things to do - and looking at my timeline, I'd better get busy!

*Blue Letter Bible. Timeline of the Apostle Paul. Blue Letter Bible. 1 Apr 2002. 20 Oct 2011..

No comments:

Post a Comment