Thursday, October 27, 2011

PROPHECY OF GOD'S JUDGMENT AGAINST JERUSALEM

In Ezekiel 5 God (speaking through the pen of Ezekiel) spells out in no uncertain terms what He is going to do to Jerusalem for her collective rebellion, wickedness and disobedience.

Before He pronounces the parameters of His judgment, God declares, "This is Jerusalem. I have set her in the center of the nations, with countries all around her." Living on this side of the fulfilled prophecy, we need to pay attention to that. Jerusalem is the center of the world. Then and now. As I read the words of God's vengeance against His holy city, I keep repeating, "God chastens those He loves."

Beginning with verse 7 God declares His judgment, but first, as any good parent should do when they punish their child, He explains why He will do what He is going to do. Then He outlines the consequences. The judgments He promised were severe. Then He told them that those who survive His horrible judgments would be scattered to the winds, and that He would withdraw His favor from them. A third would die from famine and pestilence; a third would fall to the sword; a third would be scattered to the winds, with the sword unsheathed after them. In addition, the prophecy against them included that God would make them a desolation and an object of reproach among the nations all around them and in the sight of all who pass by....

That prophecy's fulfillment began with the destruction of Jerusalem in 586 B C. Ezekiel penned this chapter in c. 593 B C, so God revealed what He was going to do to Jerusalem +-seven years before it happened.

It is a clear reminder of God's sovereignty - that He is God and I am not. I cannot second-guess His decisions, but I can observe.... And, in paying attention one of the most salient points is that what He promises will come to pass....

As a little side note, I'd like to point out that God is not jealous of, He is jealous for. Jealous for our complete commitment and obedience. What God cares about most of all is our salvation, and He will go to any lengths to achieve that. His goal for us is that we be conformed to the image of His Son. That process requires refining.

God's refining took drastic measures - but that was His goal for His chosen people, Israel (Jews), as well. However, in reading this account, I get it why some Jewish people lament, "I wish He didn't love us so much!" The reality is, that retort comes from a view of self as sovereign. We aren't - but it sure takes us a lifetime to learn that.

I pray I will accept God's discipline with joy. Joy that He loves me and has adopted me as His child.

I love what Pastor Peter says, "God loves you just the way you are, but He loves you too much to leave you that way." There are days that I groan against being a work in progress. I would love to be perfect. And though I know that isn't going to happen this side of eternity, I'm on the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment