Saturday, February 18, 2012

DANIEL 12, in sequence

I have to write a brief 'side note before I get into Daniel 12.

It occurred to me as I sat down to write just now that what we often need when we are in the depths of the doldrums of discouragement is vitamin D - - literally, of course; and for me right now, Vitamin Daniel. God has definitely used the model of Daniel - and what I have learned from digging deeper into this book - as instructive encouragement. We don't have any record of Daniel ever doing anything wrong. He is a model of faithfulness and obedience - but His life certainly didn't go smoothly just because he lived faithfully.

God's message to Daniel was, "You are dearly loved." We look at Daniel and think, "He deserved God's love." That's true - but God's love for us is not conditional, based on anything we do to merit His favor. What God spoke to Daniel is also a reminder of God's incredible love for us. His love was demonstrated most perfectly when He came Himself in human form and died on a cross to take the punishment for every sin that would ever be committed. He loves because it is His nature. God made that very clear to me this past Wednesday morning.

After having my prayer time and re-reading part of Daniel that morning, I decided to make a list of some specific things God has spoken to me over the past several years. Then, as I got on my exercise bike and started pedaling I said to God, "You haven't said something specific to me for awhile."

Immediately He responded, "You are dearly loved."

Tears sprung to my eyes and my heart was so full I felt it might burst. "Like Daniel?" I queried.

"Like Daniel," He replied.

"Like David," I asked.

"Like David."

I first gave my heart to Jesus when I was 8 years old, in response to the message of God's love, but I had never heard Him say that so specifically ever before. Hearing those words so directly has changed me forever, and He spoke this to me at a time I desperately needed to hear His voice.

I don't deserve His love - but He loves me anyway! It was an Aha! moment, and it is imbedded deeply in my soul. I continued pedaling with a full, full heart (and some tears) absorbing the fullness of the affirmation that God loves me - and I knew in that moment I wanted everyone to hear those words.

I'm certain there are times we please Him more than others, but His love is unconditional. However, when we know such a love, why wouldn't be want to be obedient and faithful!

His love is not a rubber stamp of our doing, but of being....being His children, dearly loved.

And on to Chapter 12:

God's prophetic messages to Daniel in Chapter 12 are very specific, yet still leave room for many opinions and observations. It speaks of the 'time of the end' which is prophesied to be a time of great trouble, such as has never been. All whose names are written in the book (the Lamb's Book of Life) will be delivered. Daniel is told to shut up the words and seal the book until the time of the end - and the end is identified with this statement, "Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase."

We're there! Never in history has travel been so easy or so frequent! And knowledge increasing - I can't keep up! In fact, I don't even want to. There are apps for everything if you have the techie tools to use them, which I don't - but knowledge is everywhere! Overwhelmingly everywhere! Increase is an understatement. The changes come so fast that the 'newest thing' is outdated before it even makes it to the shelves.

And Daniel asks, How long shall it be before the end of these wonders? And the answer, "...for a time, times and half a time, and ... when the shattering of the power of the holy people comes to an end all these things would be finished...." And the being who speaks to Daniel goes on to specify just how many days the horrible time will be...1290 days (with a perk for reaching arriving at 1335 days) just a little more than 3 1/2 years, which confirms the period defined as: time (1 year), times (2 years) and half a time (1/2 a year): total = 3 1/2 years.

This portion of Daniel was written in +- 539 B C. The Book of Revelation was written in +-95 A D, where this horrible period at the end of time is identified varyingly as 3 1/2 days; 3 1/2 years; 42 months; 1260 days. With +-635 years between the prophets' writings, the time span for this last chunk at the end of time is very specific and clear.

I don't know if those who presently believe in the Lord will be taken out of the world before the 7 years of the Great Tribulation begins (pre-trib); or midway through, at this point that precedes the final 3 1/2 years of the Great Tribulation (mid-trib); or at its end (post-trib). What I do know is that what God promises in verse 1 is "at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the book." I know beyond a doubt my name is written there, and I want to encourage others to find that same certainty!

I don't deserve His love - - but I am so grateful for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment