Monday, February 27, 2012

JOURNEY TO RESURRECTION, Day 5

New beginnings. That's what the Journey to Resurrection 2012 feels like. Bravely peering into God's written Word to find the not-before-seen.... Seeking. Exploring. Finding.

John 1 reminds me that I shouldn't be surprised when people don't understand my passion for and faith in Jesus. He - Messiah - came into the world. God with us - the creator of the world, incarnate - and they didn't know Him. If they didn't know Him - the full meal deal - how on earth could I expect them to see Him in me? It allows me a strange comfort, knowing that.

John the Baptist was Jesus' elder by only 6 months. We learn that detail in Luke. When Gabriel appeared to Mary to tell her she had been chosen to give birth to the Messiah, he told Mary that her relative, Elizabeth, was in her sixth month of pregnancy. Soon after learning she was pregnant, Mary went to the hill country to see Elizabeth - and she stayed with her for about 3 months, close to the time young John would be born. Zechariah couldn't talk - so she was good company for Elizabeth. They were each carrying miracle children. They had a lot to share.

Even so, the book of John (written by the apostle John, son of Zebedee) says John didn't know Jesus, so they weren't raised together, as one might have supposed likely.

John the Baptist's knowledge of who Jesus was, was totally dependent on insight from the Holy Spirit. Just one day after John was questioned about perhaps being the Messiah, he saw Jesus coming toward him and declared, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!" This is he of whom I said, "After me comes a man who ranks before me, because he was before me. I myself did not know him, but for this purpose I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel." And John bore witness: "I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' And I have seen and borne witness that this is the Son of God." (John 1:29-34 ESV)

On the second day - the day after He first saw Jesus and declared his divinity to the masses - he was standing with two of his disciples - Andrew and, it would appear, John, Son of Zebedee. As Jesus walked by John the Baptist declared to them, "Behold the Lamb of God." And with that introduction, they deserted John and followed Jesus.

John, in everything he did, deferred to Jesus. He was an amazing man; who was filled with the Holy Spirit before birth; who was born to aged parents and walked humbly before God; who ate locusts and wild honey and dressed in the skins of animals - a true 'survivor'; yet when Jesus came, he said he wasn't even worthy to loosen Jesus' sandals. I like John! I love his heart!

I wonder why he didn't get to be a disciple. He was already devoted. He would have modeled love well. But God had other plans - a brief life well lived. He modeled the kind of life we are to live - one totally submitted to the Lord. Later on - before his death - he would go through a time of wondering why - but in spite of everything, he remained faithful.

My prayer for today: Lord, help me submit everything in life to Your will and Your design. When I hear of sad circumstances happening to those who love and serve you, help me always submit them to You as well. I know You have a plan - and that there might be people who would never be reached were it not for those You love going through difficulty as a witness to their love for You and Your faithfulness to them - faithfulness that is evident in the grace you extend no matter what the circumstances. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment