Wednesday, February 22, 2012

JOURNEY TO RESURRECTION, Day 1: ASH WEDNESDAY

My 2012 journey of discipline leading to Resurrection begins today. I don't know where the route will take me - but I know it will ultimately lead me through the path of the cross, then on to Resurrection. I love that I know the end of the story before I begin writing the pages that will fill up the book of this year's process, and I know I want it to be worthwhile, not just an exercise. It is a spiritual journey for me.

I'm a little reticent about making the commitment of the discipline, but eager to hear what God will say.

Since October 18, 2011, I have been faithful to the discipline of riding my exercise bike to improve my physical endurance. The only week I got away from that was during the ice storm, when it was just too cold to be up in my office where my bike sits as a constant reminder of the commitment I made to exercise. I am never eager to do it - but once I am doing it, am glad I am - and certainly am grateful for the benefits, and gratified to have it off my daily 'to-do' list.

I could approach the spiritual discipline the same way. I know that is a risk - but I don't want it to be merely a discipline. I want to come to the discipline with freshness and eagerness every day, approaching the One who wants us to have an intimate relationship with Him, and investing myself in being in His presence and hearing what He wants me to learn during this time.

Before time began, God knew what would happen with mankind, and He created us anyway! That's amazing. He who knew no sin became a man and bore the burden of all our sin to the cross, then arose to prove His victory over sin.

Sin came into the world through the disobedience of Adam and Eve. Sin separated man from the intimate relationship God and man had enjoyed in the Garden prior to sin. Jesus, the second Adam, came to restore that relationship, to seek and to save that which was lost - - and what was lost was the closeness God yearned to have with us.

In Revelation 3:20, God declares to us, "Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me." (ESV)

That is God's plea to those who believe in Him. It was written to the church. God longs to have a 'sit down and chat over supper' relationship with us, just as He originally had in the garden before sin entered.

Lord, may it be so during this 40 days. Draw me close to You. Never let me go.

No comments:

Post a Comment