Saturday, December 16, 2023

ADVENT 2023 – Blog #14: December 16

Sometimes death comes too soon. We can't help but feel that way. It is a tender, personal issue for me because I lost my birth mother when I was 7 1/2 years old. 

Today I was privileged to be asked to lead the singing of two selections at a Celebration of Life for a very accomplished woman who died at the age of 56, just 2 months after first experiencing symptoms and subsequently being diagnosed with colon cancer. Two months! That's fast. She was less than a month younger than my first child. He was born June 8, 1967, and she was born July 4, 1967. Waaaaaaay too soon in our eyes. 

I didn't know her personally, but by the end of her service I wished I had! She was amazing, and amazingly generous. She was from Cameroon, had her PhD in pharmacy, and had been the head pharmacist of various pharmacies during her 25-year career. 

It was wonderful hearing the stories that were related about her life, legacy, generosity, and love. I was astounded by all she accomplished in her lifetime. 

For those who are left behind it is devastating. There are no words that can comfort her husband and son in such a moment - though we try, out of our caring and compassion.

I did not know her here, but I look forward to meeting her in heaven. My prayer is that those who attended the service today who do not know the Lord will take stock of their mortality and choose to accept salvation through Jesus so they can also see her again in eternity. That would honor her more than anything! 

The selections the family chose were: "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" and "It Is Well With My Soul". In addition their family friend played "Amazing Grace" on her violin, and a niece - who is actually more like a sister  - sang  a rendition of The Lord's Prayer in the native tongue she grew up with in Cameroon. It was absolutely beautiful, and the service was a wonderful tribute to a life well lived.

I am glad I was asked, was available, and made the commitment. It was an honor to be present, and an honor to be able to serve. I feel blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment