Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 14 leading to Easter

Day 12 was supposed to be 2 chapters according to my reading list. Why did I do that to myself? I presume I looked at 14 & 15 and thought they were short enough that I could manage two. But, I was going along systematically reading my prescribed one chapter a day - and didn't consult my reading list - so I'll play catch-up today. Today will be Matthew 16 & 17. (I spent one entire Saturday creating this reading list for leading to Easter, so if I don't get back on track now, I'll mess up the whole plan.) Sort of like life, huh? Some days are get back on track days!

With 2 chapters, I need to focus on some gems. I find there is so much more I want to say - but I am verbose and I am writing too much for a blog....

Jesus' time on earth is winding down. He knows he has to cement the disciples' faith so they will have touchstones to call back to memory after he is gone. In Chapter 16 he engages them in a conversation that will certainly be one of those memorable moments. I love his question. He doesn't initially ask who they say he is - but who the people say he is. They have their finger on the pulse of their society! They know what people are saying - and people obviously think Jesus is someone amazing - a reincarnated prophet, with those mentioned being John the Baptist (who hadn't been dead long enough for that to be true), Elijah, Jeremiah, or any of a sundry of other prophets...

Then Jesus asks them who they think he is, and my friend, the impetuous Peter, gives an immediate response, proclaiming, "You are Meshiach - the Messiah - (translation in Greek - the Christ) - the Son of the living God."

And Jesus tells him that on that proclamation of Jesus as the Messiah, the One who was prophesied to come - he would build his church, and they would be given the keys of the kingdom of heaven. Jesus is that key - through his atoning death and resurrection, he opened the door to direct access to God through the gift of the promised Holy Spirit. The God of creation came - incarnate - sacrificed Himself - made Himself man, bore our sorrows, bore our sin....oops! I'm getting ahead of the story....

Peter was also named 'rock' so there is an opportunity for a little confusion here - - but Peter's role was as a witness to the One who is the Rock....he was not the rock on which Jesus would build his church - but the truth of his statement was.

He clarified His purpose: to build a church - - that's us, folks! We are the result of God's holy purpose! Then - after revealing this clearly to them, he told them not to tell. It wasn't time yet - but the time would come when they were to tell - it's just not yet. God is a God of timing. I get impatient for His timing. I want to act as an advisor sometimes instead of waiting patiently for Him to be the One calling the shots.

In Chapter 16, from the time he confirmed to them so clearly that He is the Messiah, he began to explain what that was going to mean - that he must be killed, but on the third day he would rise again. Peter, who had just been affirmed as a rock - a solid follower - only hears the part about death - and that didn't fit in the rough draft of the script he had in mind. Wait a minute, Yeshua, you are supposed to be the 'deliverer' who comes in on his white horse, vanquishes the foes, and sets the world right. What is this about death? No way! Peter was so caught off guard that he didn't even hear the part about 'resurrection' - that on the third day Jesus would be raised to life. All those of the Jewish nation who were looking forward to a Messiah though he was going to set the world aright - that he was going to be a religious and political force - and once they dared believe he was that promised Messiah, their thoughts turned immediately to an earthly kingdom where the detested Roman domination and all of the political unfairness would be ended....they were 'littlefaiths' - they had faith in the wrong thing - and Jesus called Peter out on that point when he looked directly into Peter's eyes and stated clearly, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

Wow! That had to pierce. One moment Jesus' praise; the next a severe rebuke. But Jesus couldn't softsoap that point - nor could he sidestep what He came to do. And then Jesus tells them the cost of being part of his kingdom: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life (soul) will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?...."

The answer is nothing.

Jesus ends that teachable moment telling them that some of them will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom - and then six days later he invites Peter, and brothers James and John to go with him on a day hike up to a high mountain. He was transfigured before them - and the much recently talked about Elijah - and Moses - appear there, talking with Jesus. Talk about 'kingdom living. Peter was all over it. "Lord, this is good - - and I mean really, really good. If you wish, I'll build thee shelters - one for you, one for Moses - one for Elijah - and we can just camp out up here. That would be really....." And while he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from a cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!"

Tears spring to my eyes and my heart is too full for words to adequately convey what I feel. The disciples response was appropriate. When God shows up in that kind of majesty, we should be on our faces before him. It was so conspicuous that Peter still didn't get the whole picture. Neither do we. But do you notice Jesus response? Instead of reveling in that glorious moment where his divinity was so clearly affirmed - again - with the everlasting omnipotent G-D Almighty affirming God in human form once again - just as He had at Yeshua's baptism - with the words, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased." Well pleased because Jesus had overcome the temptations common to man - from the time of his testing in the desert by Satan 3 years earlier, and more recently, the temptation from his stumbling-block friend, Peter, not to stay the course. GOD knew the difficult times still to come - and He took this wonderful moment to affirm Jesus - and to provide another touchstone to three key disciples: Peter, who would one day stand faithfully proclaiming Jesus, and ultimately die for him; John who would write the gospel of John; 1, 2, & 3 John and Revelation - and James, John's brother.

Jesus' own brother, James was not there. He didn't believe yet. Other very important members of the early church were not there. Paul was still Saul - a young man who was just getting steamed up for his role of persecuting those who were soon to be designated as 'Christ-ones,' or Christians as we are now known. Jesus chose just 3 of his disciples to witness what happened on that mountain. Interestingly, John, even though an eye witness, doesn't even record it in his gospel.

Anyway - - Jesus' response is notable. He touched them and told them not to be afraid. And from that day forward, he has been touching people and affirming that message to our hearts: 'Be not afraid. I am with you.'

We like mountain-top experiences - but we can't stay there. Neither could they.

Matthew 17:14-22 records a section we are frequently challenged by. A man comes to Jesus with a problem the disciples couldn't help with. His son has a demon that is so strong that it throws his seizure-tormented son into the fire and into the water. In this account it makes it sound like it is peoples' fault that the boy was not healed - and indeed, in Nazareth Jesus didn't do many miracles because of their lack of faith. But I've seen faith rise up and claim healing when it didn't happen - and I struggle with that line between our faith and God's will - just being honest.... I know God can - but I don't always know his will. I recognize that God uses all kinds of circumstances to grow us, including some real growth pains. I know there are people who are healed - and people who for some reason aren't. I recognize that faithfulness in the face of challenge - and even death - is a wonderful testimony to Christian commitment - that none of us get our of this life alive - that death is only the door to an eternity with the Lord for those who know Him - - but I want the miracles. I have several people on my prayer list right now for whom I want the miracles....and Jesus' response here is 'if you only had faith as small as a grain of mustard seed. Lord, teach me what I'm missing here.

Sandwiched between that miracle and the end of the chapter is a brief recitation that Jesus warned them a second time that he was going to be killed and raised again on the third day. Again, all they heard was 'death' and they were filled with grief.

The end of Chapter 17 brings us back to Jesus' chosen home base - Capernaum. I've been there...stood in the remains of the synagogue he taught in.... It was a wonderful moment of actually getting to feel like I was walking where Jesus walked. Jesus lived in the real world. He had to pay taxes just like the rest of us. The due date must have been upon them - and Peter was the one challenged with the question. This was his town, too. His response that Jesus pays the tax was likely based on prior times of that payment being made. However it could have just been defensive. We aren't provided that information - but what we do know is Jesus wasn't present to hear the conversation but he already knew about it, for when Peter came into the house, Jesus brought up the topic...and then he sent the fisherman out to fish - for a fish and a coin, but he let Peter know that the provision was miraculous, even though it would appear to be from natural circumstances - and in the process he gave Peter something to think about: that the sons of the king are exempt - and he truly was that Son - and King.

Humor for the day:

A preacher's five-year-old daughter noticed that her daddy always paused and bowed his head for a moment before starting his sermon. One day she asked him why. "Well, honey, he replied, proud that his daughter was so observant at such a young age, "I'm asking the Lord to help me preach a good sermon." "How come He doesn't do it, then?" she asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment