Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day 15 leading to Easter

Matthew 18. Jesus and the disciples are still in Capernaum as this chapter begins. Jesus has told the disciples twice now that he is going to die, but rather than being focused on trying to grasp the meaning of what they have been told, their focus is on which one of them will be the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven. They are thinking man-thoughts. To stifle their query, and set them straight, Jesus brings a child before them, and tells them 'Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.'

Children are totally transparent and have an uncanny knack for seeing things as they are...and blurting out their observations at the most inappropriate times on occasion! When my girls were little I had one of their little friends with us in a department store - where she saw a very large man - and she asked me in a very large voice, "Is he fluffy?" Obviously her mother, thinking that she might avert potential embarrassment someday, had taught her to say fluffy instead of fat. I don't think it worked. Her inquiry wasn't meant to be unkind. There was just no mask.

Jesus doesn't want us to have masks - with Him or with others. No pretense. Sometimes we even lie to ourselves - to our detriment. Jesus is real - and he wants us to be real. He wants our openness to Him to be as that of a little child. Children have a right view of authority. They know who the adults are to whom they are accountable - and that creates right relationships.

True humility is not denigrating. It is simply knowing God is God - and I'm not - and as long as I keep the right perspective, keeping Him in his rightful place - being obedient to His leading - I'll fare well. I can be absolutely humble and know I am good at something as a gifting from the Lord. Skill doesn't create pride. It creates responsibility, and an awareness of stewardship of His gifts. And - with any of the gifts God has given any of us, we don't have to look far to see someone who is 'even better.' Perhaps that helps keep us humble - though comparisons are not actually healthy. What is healthy is celebrating each others' gifts and being nurturing and supportive in affirming people's use of their gifts to honor the Lord - - and to give HIM the glory, honor, thanks and praise. There are many people I thank God for. I need to remember more often to thank them too!

Once children are on Jesus' mind, he spends a bit of time there. I especially love the reference to going after the lost sheep - totally in context of keeping kids connected to their faith.

Ahhhh! Jesus' teaching about how to treat a brother who sins is another tough one. It sounds good on paper - but in practice it doesn't always work out. Actually He even addresses that - but when I tried it a few years ago, thinking God was going to teach me how to handle conflict by handling it with someone who was a professing Christian, it didn't go well at all. I did everything I believed the Lord asked of me, and it turned out horribly. I'm still praying for a better final outcome on that one.

The last story in this chapter actually ties in quite nicely to the issue of unresolved issues. Peter comes to Jesus, thinking he's going to get kudos for his generosity in suggesting forgiving up to 7 times. After all, custom only demanded 3 times. Sort of the original 3 strikes and you're out. But, shockingly, Jesus doesn't applaud Peter - he expands the number to 77 times. Sometimes it is even translated 70 times 7 times, which would be 490 times. I think the point Jesus is making is that we aren't to keep track. And, like his model in the Lord's prayer, we are to forgive others; and by that same standard, we will be forgiven. It is no lightweight matter with the Lord. Still, for those truly tough issues I know I can only forgive from the heart - as he demands - with His help. I'm so grateful for the Holy Spirit's work in my life. He brings things to my attention at just the right time, then helps me work through whatever the 'thing' is. The older I get the more I realize how much God has done for me. His forgiveness is incredible....and I need to forgive just as wholly as He does. Those are big shoes to step into. I'm sure glad His feet fit in the shoes with mine. I've had a few difficult circumstances I've needed to forgive - but when I think of the really huge issues - like someone intentionally taking a child's life - or like the cruelty in the holocaust - or other war crimes since then - I quickly acknowledge I have not been asked to forgive nearly as much as many others. Talk about grace. Lord, that kind of gargantuan forgiveness can only come through you.

The messages in this chapter boil down to: 'loving God, loving people.' I am so grateful for the loving people I see and know who love God and love each other. What a model of what heaven will be like.

'Humor' for the day:

One four-year-old prayed the following prayer: "And forgive us our trash baskets as we forgive those who put trash in our baskets."

That seemed appropriate for today....

This one is cute, too:

During the minister's prayer on Sunday morning there was a loud whistle from the back row. The Mom of the culprit gave him a quick pinch, followed by 'the look' to silence him - and after church she asked him what made him do such a thing.

"Well," her son replied, "Pastor told us that if we had any unspoken requests, we could ask God for them during his prayer - and I asked God to teach me to whistle - and He just did it right then."

No comments:

Post a Comment