Tuesday, March 9, 2010

DAY 17: 26 days to E-Day

TWENTY-SIX DAYS TO EASTER

Reading for today:
Matthew 19:13-15
Mark 10:13-16
Luke 18:15-17

Jesus is 'across the Jordan' and our story today is of Him blessing little children. Were there Dad's - or just Mom's...or perhaps some grandparents in the mix? Whomever the adults were, they were drawn to Jesus, and placed complete trust in Him, as they laid their babies in his arms, and nudged their wee ones toward Him to receive a blessing. I love this mental picture - especially now that I am seeing it freshly in his journey to the cross.

It is a moment so tender that the indecency of the disciples' reaction is an affront. The disciples rebuked those who brought them. They thought Jesus was far too important to be bothered with little children. Jesus was indignant. His rebuke of them was swift - and his affirmation of the children immediate.

The problem is that the disciples had their priorities in mind, not His. How often am I in exactly that same spot - too consumed with my own thoughts to hear/see what is right in front of me - what is truly important in that moment. How often do I mismanage priorities?

I loved this story as a child - and still love it. I love the pictures I've seen with Jesus holding and playing with little children. I was 8 years old when I came to Jesus, accepted Him as my Savior, heard His precious voice of love for me, and became His child. I was thrilled to learn that Jesus loved me. Of all the facets of relationship with God, I love being God's child most of all. I still need to crawl up into His lap and let Him bless me. I'm not too old to 'become as a little child.'

I wonder about these specific children's lives later on. Did they learn more of Him? Did they become His followers?

Lord, may the children in my life know Your love and know You - and may each of us become as little children, simply trusting, simply accepting, simply believing....in your incredible love for us. Lord, take today, and make it Yours - and Your priorities for it mine.

Last night I attended a 'meet the missionaries' gathering. In conjunction with that the song we sang as children comes to mind, "Jesus loves the little children - all the children of the world....all are precious in His sight."

Humor for the day:

A nine-year-old was asked by his mother what he learned in Sunday School that day.

"Well, Mom, our teacher told us how God sent Moses behind enemy lines on a rescue mission to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. When he got to the Red Sea, he had his army build a pontoon bridge and all the people walked across safely. Then he radioed headquarters for reinforcements. They sent bombers to blow up the bridge while the Egyptian army was on it, so they couldn't get to the Israelites, so all of the Israelites were safe."

The mother was shocked. "Is that really what your teacher taught you?" She asked.

"Well, no, Mom," her son replied, "But if I told it the way the teacher did, you'd never believe it."

No comments:

Post a Comment