Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Perspective for Today & Romans 13

I awoke this morning thinking of the fruits of the Spirit. When Jesus lives in our lives, through the power of the Holy Spirit, our lives change. With Him living in us, our lives grow love, joy, peace, patience (long-suffering, forbearance), goodness, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

The past few days I definitely lost my joy. I'm glad to report that it is back! But when I recall this list of all the attributes that should be mirrored in my life, God definitely has some work to do to perfect me further. He is s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g me. I can think I'm living up to the standard established in this list pretty well, then - wham! out of the blue I find circumstances have far more impact than I'd like them to have. I fall pell-mell into them instead of rising above them. I take life and myself far too seriously. I want to be able to address issues that need to be addressed without losing my joy in the process.

One of yesterday's verses in Chapter 12 of Romans was: be patient in tribulation. What a reminder. I'm not being persecuted. My present challenges are minimal and fairly incidental. I have no reason for letting trivial circumstances steal my joy.

I lost my joy because of a situation that could theoretically create conflict - though it certainly doesn't have to. I'd rather walk away than address the issue. I hate conflict.

And - the reality is, I'd rather be the one to lose out on the desired outcome than create a climate that compromises my relationship with the person who disagrees with me. But sometimes God chooses me for being a catalyst. My response has to be that once I have stated what needs to be stated, I have to release it and let the Holy Spirit do His work. Too often I want to help Him.

My chapter for today was Romans 13. Verse 8 states: Owe no one anything, except to love each other. It reminds me of a period of time in my life where my objective in every circumstance was to ask, "What does love demand?" Not a bad reminder for today. I love all of the principals involved in the issue I'm addressing. That has to be my foremost thought, not fear of reprisal or loss of relationships. God has the solution! That is very comforting!

When Jesus gave the 'great commission', I have been told his actual words were, "In your going, disciple...." He knew there was going to be conflict - and He used it to spread the gospel. I have to remember that the same may be true for me. He will direct my path, though I may not always like the roadblocks that divert me to the route He wants.

Lord, grant me wisdom, and the courage to be obedient to Your leading. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment