Tuesday, September 20, 2011

ROMANS 12

I've read Romans every day since my last post - but went back over chapters 9 - 11 repeatedly. Yesterday I did a little bunny trail on the words 'justify and justified' in Romans as well.

Today's reading is chapter 12. What a chapter! It is one I need to re-read weekly. Actually, as I'm reading the Bible I say that about a lot of chapters! But this one is soooooooo good! Chapter 12 both encourages using the gifts we are given by the Holy Spirit as part of the body of Christ; and it identifies multiple qualities a true Christian aspires to - qualities that are only present through the work of the Holy Spirit.

I love the inspired Word of God written by His faithful servants. When I read Paul's writings I am very aware that sometimes what he writes is his opinion - but most of the time, as in this chapter, he is writing what he has learned in the process of the Holy Spirit teaching him, and he shares it with us. It amazes me that what was stated almost 2000 years ago is so perfectly pertinent to my life today. In the midst of challenge, Romans 12 provides wonderful teaching. I'll use the 2011 NIV, but add some insight from the ESV in parentheses.

Love must be sincere (genuine)
Hate what is evil; cling to what is good
Be devoted to one another in love (brotherly affection)
Honor one another above yourselves
Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord
Be joyful in hope (rejoice in hope)
Patient in affliction (tribulation)
Faithful in prayer (constant in prayer)
Share with the Lord's people who are in need (contribute to the needs of the saints)
Practice hospitality (seek to show hospitality)
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse
Rejoice with those who rejoice
Mourn with those who mourn (weep with those who weep)
Live in harmony with one another
Do not be proud but be willing to associate with people of low position
Do not be conceited (wise in your own eyes)
Do not repay anyone evil for evil.
Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone (give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all)
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone
Verse 19: Do not take revenge, but leave that to the Lord (my paraphrase)
If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

The chapter begins with the admonition to offer our bodies as living sacrifices. It occurs to me in reading this today, that this list of what we are to aspire to clarifies what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment