Friday, November 11, 2011

ALIGNING SOURCES

There are many things on my mind this morning - among them: the results of the elections; the result of 'justice' prevailing with the fallout meaning Joe Paterno, the icon of super-coach being forced to retire under a shadow of making a wrong decision about not reporting an assistant coach for allegations of child abuse; and Ezekiel. I will focus on Ezekiel!

I searched for the exact correlating date of Ezekiel 24, and learned that there are several sources with differing opinions as to the date referenced. I had accepted my ESV's information that the fall of Jerusalem was in 586 BC, and was just curious what date that would have been using our time. Two other sites I looked at state 598 B C, not 586 - and are very definite in both cases that the correlating date I was looking for is March 16, 598 B C.

What I realized with this exercise is that I cannot know with absolute certainty what that date of victory over Jerusalem was. I don't have the time or resources to do the research others have done to come to their conclusions. I have to take their word for it. And, ultimately, it doesn'tmatter. What matters is that it did happen. That is clearly corroborated by historical information - and God forewarned that it was coming in advance. That foundation is important for what is yet to come in Ezekiel. I am eagerly anticipating seeing how the pieces fit together from various prophets - seeing for myself from God's Word.

In chapter 24, my heart goes out to Ezekiel. God forewarned him his wife would die - the delight of his eyes - and that he was not to mourn but obey what God instructed. He reports he did as God commanded. God had a purpose and Ezekiel accepted God's will. Everything in me screams that this is not fair. But deep inside I know that I want the kind of relationship with God that Ezekiel had - complete trust in His sovereignty even in the darkest of circumstances. I know Ezekiel's obedience under those circumstances could only come from being infused with God's strength, but looking from the outside in, it looks unbearable.

When I meet Ezekiel in heaven I want to be able to tell him, "I am so very sorry for your loss! And even though you suffered such enormous personal loss, thank you for your faithfulness."

No comments:

Post a Comment