Monday, November 7, 2011

TAKING RESPONSIBILITY - Ezekiel 19

God's word to Ezekiel in chapter 19 was "take up a lamentation for the princes of Israel." No explanation of exactly who that means is provided - but it appears to me that the two cubs could well be the two divisions - Israel and Judah - and the allegory provides the message that both fell, both were taken captive, and both had to suffer the consequences of their behaviors.

The message to me is that no one is exempt from having to take responsibility for their actions. Even earthly kings and kingdoms that God ordained have fallen and will fall, but the Messiah's kingdom will never fall. Our ultimate trust is not in the powers of this world - but in the One and Only True God - Creator of the Universe, Lord of our lives. Sin and rebellion have consequences. The history of God's chosen people reflects that clearly. It is yet another reminder to me that God's priority for our lives is eternal. The things of this world will pass away - but His Word will never pass away.

On the personal side of life, I am also 'taking responsibility'. I am beginning my 4th week of a personal discipline I have been far too sporadic about over the past several years. I decided one month ago that I wanted to find out how good of shape a 66-year-old woman could achieve. The last time I was in really good shape was the summer of 2009 when we hiked the 100 miles around Mt Rainier on the Wonderland Trail. After getting back from the hike I didn't maintain my discipline of exercising at a level that would sustain what I had gained on the hike.

My present motivations are very simple: I want to be in shape physically as well as feel energized, instead of sluggish. As my first thrust toward my goal, I am riding my exercise bike 6 days a week, at least 4 miles a day. So - my morning disciplines are: read a chapter in the Bible, pray, write a bit, ride the bike.

My discipline also includes self-control about how many treats I allow myself. I am a chocoholic. I love good quality chocolate. After years of not being able to eat it because it gave me migraines, I found out it was the chemicals and additives that are in the cheap stuff that are the problem. Once I discovered that the spring of 2006, I went a little crazy and gained 15 pounds that summer.

Part of my goal is to get back to a weight I can be happy with, and that means setting limits. Self-imposed discipline with only self-accountability requires determination that ultimately is rewarded by achieving the desired goals. That is the carrot. And - I know if I do it I will look better, feel better, and be more likely to maintain my present good health as I grow older.

I am reminded almost daily that God challenges us to 'occupy until He comes' and that means living intentionally every day. My first prayer this morning before I even got out of bed was, "What do you have in store for today?" We live with eternity in our sights - but the necessity of being the best stewards we can possibly be here in the interim. It is life on a tightwire - and I am eternally grateful for the One who walks the wire with me. As in Ezekiel's day, people will fail, kingdoms will fall - but God's Word will never fail! What a blessed assurance!

No comments:

Post a Comment