Saturday, November 5, 2011

GETTING IT RIGHT

A couple of years ago, our youngest grandchild, who was barely 3 years old, took her mama's face in her little hands to get our daughter's attention, and said, "I'm not gonna do what I'm gonna do." We all thought it was hilarious. She obviously wanted to do something she knew she shouldn't and had decided not to do it. Her way of stating that gave us a good chuckle.

I love the inherent message. Sometimes there is something we want to do that we know just isn't right - or, at other times, something we know we should do that we need the courage to follow through with. I'm grappling with one of the latter myself, second-guessing myself, wondering if I heard God correctly, procrastinating.... I am reminded that sin isn't just commission; it is omission. I have to do what I have to do.... I actually want to be obedient - I just don't want to get it wrong...and I have to trust His voice.

Yesterday I read chapters 17 & 18 of Ezekiel. I love the last sentence in Chapter 17: "I am the LORD; I have spoken and I will do it." That is a statement I pay close attention to. Just as God warned Ezekiel what was to come then - and it came to pass, so He warns us now. Chapter 18 segues to the kind of life God calls His people to live. It is a life of holiness by God's standard, and we are each accountable for the way we live. Ezekiel 18 makes that very clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment