Sunday, April 2, 2017

Journey to the Cross 2017, for Day 30 (April 4)

Tuesday, Day 30                                                          April 4                    
Reading for today:
Mark 13:3-37
Mark’s Report of the Message from the Mount of Olives; i.e., the Olivet Discourse.

I am amused to write that, actually. I can’t imagine Jesus using that pompous of language. His audience was his friends – his disciples. They were completing 3 years of being with him – not every single day – but a LOT. The contrast just hits me this morning. Of course, I learned fairly young that I don’t think like other people do – and I don’t mind that. In fact, I find differences and diversity in approach and style fascinating, and don’t seek mirror images of myself as friends. Even my one friend who thinks more like me than anyone I’ve ever met is still very different from me. I like the unique in individuals. When my youngest was 3 or 4, she came in from play one day and said proudly, “I’m U-nook, aren’t I?” I affirmed that she was so unique that she had to create her own word for it...u-nook!

One of her uniquenesses was that she had a half-birthday. Her sisters had birthdays only a week apart in April, and when she was 2 or 3, it was really hard for her to wait for her September birthday. She didn’t understand why her sissies got to have birthdays that were close – and she didn’t – so to solve the problem of her having to wait so long for hers, I created a half-birthday celebration. I baked a cake, cut it in half, and only decorated half of it. Gave her a card cut in half. I thought it was very clever. The first year I introduced it, she cried. I had ruined the cake and cut up her card. But then it caught on and became much anticipated. She still loves when I remember to call and sing “Happy half-birthday to you....”

My earliest thoughts today were simple, pure praise for Who God is. I love those moments, embraced in the simplicity of praise. I wanted to stay there –  not even get out of bed to begin the day – but with a prayer that He would guide this day, I got up. While I was making the bed I saw something move outside the window – and looked out to see two beautiful robins. My response was that tears sprung to my eyes in tender memory. I love robins. Crocuses and robins speak Spring. Spring is a tender time in my life.  My entire being is focused on Easter – but there are some huge boulders in the path before the journey reaches E-day.

Mark tells us which disciples were present with Jesus on the Mt of Olives: Peter, James, John and Andrew. Just as in Matthew’s account, the disciples are warned about what is to come. It must have been really confusing to them. The faithful among the Jewish people had been anticipating the arrival of their promised Messiah for centuries. These men believed Jesus to be that Messiah. But what they believed about Messiah didn’t mesh with what He was telling them.

He talks about the days of distress that will face His followers, and says that for the sake of the elect whom God has chosen, God has shortened them. He warns of false Messiahs who will appear and perform signs and miracles –  to deceive the elect if that were possible. He warns them – and by extension, us – to be on guard. He has told them ahead of time exactly what to expect. Heaven and earth will pass away – but His words will never pass away. And at the end of the recorded caution, He declares, “Watch!”

Very soon, they will need to draw on these memories and forewarnings. The weather forecast has been given, and it would be wise to pay attention.

“I tell you the truth,” this passage declares, “this generation (or race) will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.”


The word translated generation is just as often translated race. I prefer race. I don’t ever hear any longer of the Perizites or Amorites, the Jebusites or the Hivites, the Hittites or the Zemarites; but I still hear of the Israelites. They are a race that has not passed away, and will not pass away until all these promises and prophecies have been fulfilled. Israel was and is God’s chosen people. We, as Gentiles, are grafted in because of what Jesus Christ did for all of humanity on the cross – but Israel is at the very center of God’s passion – and Jerusalem is the center of the world in God’s point of view. We need to keep that reality clear. Even though His people (Israel) denied their Messiah, He loves them dearly and yearns to draw them to Him.

Humor for today:
His wife’s graveside service had just barely finished when there was a huge bolt of lightning immediately followed by a massive clap of thunder that reverberated long and loud across the countryside.

The little old man looked over at his pastor and calmly stated, “Well, she’s there.”

No comments:

Post a Comment