Sunday, April 2, 2017

Journey to the Cross 2017, for Day 32 (April 6)

Thursday, Day 32        Countdown – 10 days – April 6

Reading for today:
PARABLES OF WARNING:

Parable of the fig tree
Matthew 24:32-33
Mark 13:28-29
Luke 21:29-31

Parable of the householder
Mark 13:34-36

Parable of the Ten Virgins
Matthew 25:1-13

Parable of the Talents
Matthew 25:14-30

Parable of the Ten Minas
Luke 19:11-27

A word to the wise:
At 7:22 a m I received a call from a young man who greeted me, “Hello, Grandma.” I said, “Who is this?” He said, “Your grandson.” I said, “My grandson would have a name. What is yours?” “Guess,” he said. I said, “No. You tell me.” He said, “It’s your grandson – your favorite grandson!” Again, I asked, “What is your name?” “Michael” he said. “Michael Cain.”

I responded, “Well, Michael, I’m not going to play your game. You’re undoubtedly going to ask me for money that you aren’t going to get. My sister-in-law was burned by that scam.”

He replied, “Have a nice day.”

I responded, “You, too.”

I know my grandkids voices – and names – and he wasn’t one of them....

Al got the ‘Hello Grandpa’ call yesterday. That kid said his name was Blake.... I guess they figure if they guess names long enough eventually they’ll hit on one that is right!
**********

When I created this reading list I didn’t double check it or I’d have realized today’s suggested reading is redundant. But when I got to Matthew’s account of the Parable of the Talents, it cross-referenced Luke’s account of the Minas. That was not on my reading list at all – and whomever suggested the readings that I excerpted didn’t have these accounts cross-referenced as so many of the other readings have been....

In Luke’s account, Jesus has just been in Jericho where He healed poor blind Bartimaeus and ‘spiritually healed’ wealthy Zaccheus. We know He is on his way to Jerusalem – to fulfill the culminating act of His life on earth – the purpose for which He came. His last words to Zaccheus were: “...for the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.”

What was lost was a right relationship to God. The first Adam, assisted by his wife, severed that right relationship, and Yeshua, the second Adam, came to restore it.

But before His eternal act of Grace was carried out, he warns those who have ears to hear through the telling of several parables: Watch! Be alert! Pay attention!

The reason I knew to be alert to a scam that started “Hi, Grandma” was because my sister-in-law fell for it, and asked, “Brian, is that you?” She provided the name, and her caller used it to deceive her into thinking he was in trouble and needed financial rescue. Her willingness to tell us her story made us alert – and about a year later we got the first call of that sort. My message to others is “Watch! Be alert! Pay attention!”

How much more to watch, be alert and pay attention to the forewarnings of God’s Word. These warnings were so important to Jesus that he took special care in making certain they were among the last messages He would share –  knowing it is the last thing heard that we remember best.

The thing that leaps out at me the most is Luke 19:11, where Luke reports...’the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once. I talked yesterday about the disciples’ script. It was a script indelibly imprinted on the general populace – well, at least those looking for the Messiah.

His parable provides the model for their future – they just don’t know that yet. Matthew and Luke relate very different accounts of the story – and perhaps some of that is because of the transition of translations through the years – but the message is the same. The one who was going away left responsibilities to his servants. His servants will be called to give an account of what they did with the areas of responsibility He entrusted. To whom much is given, much will be required. We, too, will have to give an account of how we used the talents, Minas and gifts that He has bestowed on us.

Salvation is a gift – but we are saved to do good works. It is important to be very clear: good works won’t save us – but they are what we do out of love in response to His love. We are each called to different things – but we are called. As with life, some people live up to their potential – and some don’t. In Matthew’s account, each of the servants was given a different amount – and each doubled what they started with – except the one who did nothing.

In Luke’s account, the math doesn’t add up – but the point is clear. The first one achieved amazing success in investing and was rewarded handsomely; the second servant was awarded according to what he accomplished; and the third servant who did nothing was stripped of his mina – and it was given to the one who had the most.

All I know is these passages provide me a mirror – and I need to watch, be alert, pay attention!


Humor for today:
Announcement in a church bulletin for a national Prayer & Fasting Conference:
The cost for the Prayer & Fasting Conference includes meals.

Rummage Sale Announcement:
“Ladies, don’t forget the rummage sale. It’s a chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Don’t forget your husbands.”


No comments:

Post a Comment