Sunday, April 2, 2017

Journey to the Cross 2017, for Day 31 (April 5)

Wednesday, DAY 31                                                    April 5                    
Reading for today:
Luke 21:7-38
Luke’s record of Jesus’ teaching on the Mount of Olives

My heart is heavy this morning. As I lay awake earlier longing for more sleep my brain wouldn’t allow me to sink back into slumber. The weight of what Jesus was experiencing nearly 2000 years ago is living with me. In truth, I find it hard to add my bit of humor at the end of each day’s entry. I have never walked this journey so specifically with Him, leading me to his death and resurrection. Oh, sure, there have been moments in other years that had such an impact that my heart was crushed beneath the weight – but this year it is a daily walk – and I feel like I am on a tightwire between the daily reality of trying to maintain living with joy in my salvation, and the crushing weight of what Jesus was experiencing.

A few weeks ago – just after I started this spiritual journey and writing about it – I did some research online trying to find out what history discloses about a proposed date for Jesus’ death. The internet is really amazing for doing research!

Sir Isaac Newton, who lived 1643 - 1747 was one of the greatest scientists who ever lived – and he was passionate about studying the Bible. His careful research in his era led him to the conclusion that Jesus died April 3, 33 A D. Whether or not that is fact, it resonates for my spiritual journey, and somehow makes me more poignantly aware each day how compelling the journey for Jesus was. Well – at least it gives me a glimpse. In reality, I couldn’t handle the full weight of what He felt. Just the glimpse is crushing.

As for the disciples, they really are trying to understand, but it is so hard. Their script for what they thought Messiah was going to do had Him riding in as the champion on the white horse, vanquishing foes, ridding them of Roman rule, becoming a powerful political leader while simultaneously bringing the kingdom of God to earth. And what does their Messiah tell them? Not what their ears are aching to hear, certainly! He tells them, in fact, that things are going to get bad – and then get worse. Again, we have the layers – and there is no distinct delineation between what would happen to Jerusalem in 70 AD and what was predicted to happen at the end of time.

All three of the Synoptic Gospels faithfully record Jesus’ description of what must be before the end: wars, revolutions, nation rising against nation, signs in the skies, tossing of the sea, earthquakes, famines, pestilences. Deceivers, adversaries, betrayers (even family). Wrath against the Jewish people.

Certainly all of it has been happening and will continue to ramp up according to the Bible.  The signs of our times seem to be propelling us to the End at warp speed. This year? 20 years? 50 years? When? We don’t know. But we know what Jesus promises – at every level – is true. Then – and now.

What I want to highlight briefly today is the positive that comes out of persecution. Verse 13 says, “This will result in your being witnesses....” That means being faithful in spite of circumstances. Telling the good news no matter how bad things get.  Lifting up Jesus and the Gospel along the journey, whatever the journey is.  Jesus came to seek and save that which was lost. What was lost was an intimate relationship with God.  Jesus is already forewarning them about the scattering that will result from persecution. But – as they run from their enemies, they will also share the truth of the gospel. Beauty from ashes.

Humor for today:
From Bulletin Bloopers (actual notices collected from actual bulletins):
The sermon this morning: “Jesus Walks on Water”
The sermon this evening: “Searching for Jesus”









No comments:

Post a Comment