Tuesday, April 18, 2017

DAY 3 - COUNTING TO ASCENSION


DAY 2:  POST RESURRECTION

Matthew 7:15-23
15”Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
21”Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’


These are tough words. I went searching in my Bible to try to sort out a huge discrepancy in TRUTH in a situation I was faced with. My solution was that I opted out of the conversation. And now my only recourse is to seek to hear God’s message for me in this.

It’s easy to see false in the conspicuously false.  I wrote about that the day Matthew 7 was my chapter for the day. What is far more difficult and requires us to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit is the false prophet who comes in sheep’s clothing – in Jesus’ clothing – yet is prickly and thorny. We are admonished that we will recognize them by their fruit.

Galatians 5:22-23 tells us what the fruit of the Spirit is:
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Of course, there is another ‘fruit’: how we influence, disciple, lead others to follow Jesus. A ‘follow me as I follow Christ’ directive. Clearly that can only come by cultivating and evidencing the fruits of the Spirit – which is done by the Spirit working in our lives. Ultimately it is all about Him! He is the author and finisher of our faith.

In our Matthew passage, it clearly states that even those who claim to prophesy in His name, drive out demons and perform many miracles will be banished from the Kingdom if they weren’t known by Him.

I’m having a very hard time with all of this because of a specific situation where the Spirit within me does not affirm another person’s spirit who claims to be speaking for Jesus.

How does this passage from Matthew instruct my life?

It reminds me:

1.  . . . not to get into arguments with people who are not seriously interested in discussion. (I do not need to attend every argument I am invited to.)

2.  . . . not to put myself in place of judge – but to leave that to God. To pray for those who speak maliciously about God’s chosen, but leave judgment to the Holy Spirit, being reminded that there is a Spiritual battle involved. I am compelled to observe – and examine myself – but not to judge. I cannot see the heart.

3.  . . . to use the Word as my plumb line.

4.  . . . to examine my heart, submit my will to the Lord, and continue to be an intentional Christian – reflecting His love as He leads.

5.  . . . and to try not to let this situation steal my joy.

The truth is, I have all I can handle keeping myself in line with God’s will, and following His leading to use the gifts He has given me for His glory. I believe God calls me to point out the truth – but not to be responsible for the results…. That’s the Holy Spirit’s territory.

Lord, I want to be a mirror reflecting Your incredible love. Help others know the peace you offer, and to know there is nothing they can do to be loved more by You. Because of Your great love, You give us things to do in your kingdom for Your glory. Help me do those things you place in my hands with joy! Help me glorify you in all I do.

An excerpt from my daily prayer list follows:

I NEED YOU TO EQUIP ME TO WALK IN YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS TODAY:
Ephesians 6:10-18

10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

I learned a long time ago that the greatest lie is the one with the most truth in it. God gave us the perfect model to follow: God himself, incarnate in Jesus Christ – full of grace and Truth . . . . His Spirit witnesses with my Spirit – and that is the voice I have to trust.

I’m so glad God is the one who will judge. I will stand before Him on that day, knowing I have not done enough to deserve His love. The reality is, none of us will. It is impossible. All that we do has to come from a heart of love – His transforming love – and all we do is merely in response to His great love . . . . but it will never be enough.  It wasn’t intended to be. “We are saved by grace through faith, and that not of ourselves. It is the gift of God, not of works, so that no one can boast.”

We can’t do anything to earn or deserve His love. But we can accept it. And respond to it. And our response compels us to share His love – in love . . . . In your going, disciple . . . . That is the Great Commission.

Humor for today: (I grew up blond, so I can tell blond jokes!)
Bambi, a blond in her fourth year as a UCLA freshman, was in her U S Government class.


The professor asked Bambi if she knew what Roe vs. Wade was all about.

She thought about it for awhile then replied, “That was the decision George Washington had to make before he crossed the Delaware.”

No comments:

Post a Comment