Monday, April 17, 2017

Day 2 - COUNTING TO ASCENSION

DAY 1:   POST RESURRECTION



I am trying to imagine the upheaval in Jerusalem and surrounding communities as the word spread that Yeshua had come to life – along with hearing rumors coming from people paid to lie and say that His body had been stolen so the report of His coming back to life on the third day would be viewed as a hoax.  But it was no hoax – it was true!  He arose!  He is alive!  He is risen indeed!  And because of what He did for us we can inherit eternal life if we place our faith in Him.  What a legacy!  What an inheritance!   
  
He also has an inheritance!  Us!

It was an amazing insight for me the day I realized we are Jesus’ inheritance. We are who the Father has given Him. Everything He did –  He did for us. And, for all He did, we are His prize.

On Resurrection Sunday 2010, I was informed I am going to hell (along with pretty much everyone else who calls himself  ‘Christian’) because I celebrate Easter . . . . So, I did a little research.

We inherited the word from the King James Version of the Bible: Acts 12:4. It is an inaccurate translation – and one purportedly immersed in pagan tradition which was adopted as ‘Christian’ tradition. The accurate name of the celebration is Passover, as is articulated in the NIV, ESV, ASB, NASB. Fine. I can accept that as informative and instructive – but where the accusers go with the rest of it I don’t go . . . .

What I truly celebrate is RESURRECTION! On the night on which He was betrayed, Jesus changed the celebration of the Passover from being about what happened to the Israelites coming out of Egypt when the blood of the lamb was placed on the upper portion and sides of the door casing on the outside of each Hebrew’s home, thus ensuring their ‘salvation’ from death when the angel of death ‘passed over’; and made it about Him – and about what He was about to do for us as his blood was spilled as payment for our ‘salvation’ from the penalty of Sin.

He was scourged, abused in horrible ways, crucified . . . .  Original Sin and all of the accumulated sins of man required payment, and He paid the price.  The blood He shed as the perfect Lamb of God was shed as a substitution for my sin. His body, mangled and shredded, was for me. Now, when I drink the juice of the vine and take the unleavened bread of the ordinance he inaugurated I am doing it in remembrance of Him . . . understanding his propitiation/payment for my sin . . . understanding the history He adapted . . . understanding He will not drink of that cup again until the great wedding feast after His Second Coming.

I know my Redeemer lives. I know I am redeemed. I serve one worth celebrating – and He instructed us to remember Him in that continuing annual Passover celebration. On the Sunday after Passover I celebrate Jesus and His resurrection and for all of my life I have called that day Easter! He is honored and glorified in my celebration. It is the most important celebration of our Christian faith . . . and one we will celebrate with Him after He returns again for His own, just as He promised.  I still call it Easter even though I understand my celebration is about Resurrection.  It means the same thing to me.  I recognize the technicality - - but my calling Resurrection Day Easter is not going to damn me to hell.  I know God’s love, and know His grace covers me. I love learning – but rather dislike being falsely accused. But like Jesus from the cross, His model says to pray, “Father, forgive them.” He asks us to extend mercy. Then he gives us opportunities to practice it . . . .

As for bunnies and eggs . . . . I guess it matters most what they represent to the person using them! They do speak of Spring and new life – and Resurrection is a celebration of life – and the adapted Passover – the New Covenant in Jesus’ blood – is all about new life and life eternal . . . . Jesus taught in parables. I certainly can find parallels for perfectly appropriate parables here.

I’m so glad God looks on the heart. I’m counting on it!

One of my poems to share for Spring:



SPRING DIALOGUE
by Lola Cain

The Wind and the Rain
were having a chat.
The Wind said, “You spit.”
The Rain said, “You blat.”

“If my blowing is blatting
then blowing I’ll do.”
So Wind huffed a big puff;
and he blew and he blew.

“Stop blowing!” Rain yelled,
“Or before you are through
Earth’s dirt will be gone.”
But Wind blew and blew.

So Rain spewed a rainstorm
and turned Earth to mud:
With torrents and buckets
and cloudbursts – a flood.

“Please stop it,” Earth hollered.
“Just stop it, you two!
“Can’t you see that your fighting
is hurting me too?”

“March is over! It’s April!
It’s time now for Spring –
time for flowers and grasses
and hearing birds sing.”

So Wind stopped his howling
…was lilting again;
And Rain quit his drenching
and let the sun in.

Then Earth heaved a sigh
that awakened the buds;
and April burst forth
through the drizzle and mud.

No comments:

Post a Comment