Wednesday, May 18, 2011

God Still Speaks

The 'prayer list' I started in 2008 as a computer file has grown to include specific things God speaks to me. In August of 2009 I witnessed the immersion baptism of two dear friends, and in the Sunday morning service I attended for that event, God spoke clearly me to me and said, "I want you to contend for what I contend for." What I wrote following that entry was, "Help me ascertain exactly what that means and follow that design for my life."

This morning - just a few moments ago as I was praying through my prayer list in my morning devotions, just after I re-prayed that specific prayer, the Lord spoke clearly to me and said, "I contend for Truth. I contend for man's souls."

The Lord of the universe, who created man, came to earth in the form of man to become our Savior. On the cross He said, "It is finished." He meant that the work of what He came to do was finished. It was. It is. But He contends for our souls. That is an ongoing, daily, present promise.

My Devotional reading right now is in the Book of the Revelation of John. I grapple with the symbols and meanings. I pray for understanding, because God has told us to ask for wisdom - that He gives it freely. Yet, I know there is so much I cannot grasp.... I view the scenes through eyes of faith, knowing that God will unfold the mysteries in His time. Knowing that nurturing faith in others as well as my own is imperative - having a sense of urgency - being concerned about complacent 'Christians' as well as outright unbelievers.

Terrible days are coming. The Book of Revelation makes that abundantly clear - as did Daniel and Ezekiel in the Old Testament. The Bible is full of prophecy - and it is only in hindsight that we see precisely what was meant clearly.

When we as Christians warn those who are lost that the end is coming - and that for those who do not accept the gift of eternal life purchased at Calvary by the blood Jesus shed for our salvation - there is a hell...they view that as a threat. Yet, when those same people see a sign that says, "Bridge out" they view that as a warning. The prophecies of the Bible are intended as a warning. They are a weather report. The Bible is clear that in the last days, horrible things will happen on the earth. Jesus foretold it in Matthew; John records it in Revelation.

Frankly, I'd much prefer to stress the positive. We have the opportunity in this life to choose whether or not we want to spend eternity with GOD, our creator, who LOVES us and has wonderful things planned for those who love Him. He does. He promises.

Both aspects are true: (1) the blissful joy of eternal life in being present with the Lord and enjoying all He has prepared for those who accept His offer of life, and (2) the horrible eternal separation from God and all that is good, an eternity of the second death - the one there is no escape from.

God made a way for us to escape the wrath that is to come. He did it through His Son, who took on all the sins and the shame of the world. He paid the price - and offers salvation as a gift. The gift is free - but it costs us everything. We have to give up living for our self, and live a life that is pleasing to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment