Wednesday, May 18, 2011

WRITING FROM A BROKEN HEART

The information that follows is from an e-mail newsletter I just opened this afternoon. I have only made minor changes for identification of the church denomination.

On May 10th a nation-wide Presbytery vote reached the number of “yes” votes necessary to ratify amendment 10-A. The amendment replaces a much-disputed paragraph in the Book of Order for the Presbyterian Denomination describing ordination standards. The former (G-6.0106b) required ordinands to live “…either in fidelity within the covenant of marriage between a man and a woman or chastity in singleness.”

By contrast the new language states: “Standards for ordained service reflect the church’s desire to submit joyfully to the Lordship of Jesus Christ in all aspects of life…” and that candidates be examined to determine their “…ability and commitment to fulfill all requirements as expressed in the constitutional questions for ordination and installation…”


The writer whose comments explain this change states, “While the amendment keeps standards very high for candidates, it does allow for the possibility of ordaining those of gay or lesbian orientation. This new ordination standard neither encourages nor discourages such ordinations. What is required is a specific, case-by-case examination of each potential ordinand. Candidates may be examined on all issues of their faith and practice. Governing bodies, Presbyteries in the case of pastors and Sessions in the case of elders and deacons, may operate with the belief that it is not acceptable for practicing gay or lesbian people to be ordained and may choose not to ordain them if that is their conviction… but they are not required any longer to prohibit such ordinations. Therefore each Presbytery and each Session discerns independently who shall be ordained.”

My heart hurts.

The Presbyterian Denomination has wonderful roots - and their form of government was the foundation for our own United States government. I have enormous respect for the Christian heritage that undergirds the foundation of the denomination.

I became a Presbyterian in 1970. I was a faithful participant in the Presbyterian Church for 38 years - 30 of those years in Montesano, and the next 8 in Olympia. The only thing I disagreed with when I first started attending the church was their practice of baptizing babies - but I accepted it as their method of dedication, with the explanation that more than anything it was a promise by the parents to raise their children in a Christian home.

Even though raised Presbyterian, my own children were baptized by immersion - by their choice - when they were ready to make a public profession of their faith. Two different pastors had the joy of being the ones to participate in those baptisms - and for both, it was their first time of baptizing by immersion....but I digress.

When I finally actually joined the church formally, I told the pastor my one concern was that the Presbyterian Church kept bringing up the issue of ordaining homosexuals - and if they ever did, I would leave the church - vocally. He said, "That's O K. I'll be right behind you." I don't think he thought it would actually happen. Now, in a subtle form, it has. And I'm sad.

I love and miss my friends in the Presbyterian Church - but I have to stand up for what I know to be Truth. Perspective is not Truth.

Just this morning God spoke to me and said, "I contend for Truth. I contend for man's souls." All of man. God isn't eager to cut people off. But we make choices. Those who worship Him - truly worship Him - must worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. He accepts no less.

We are told to speak the truth in love. My love for my Presbyterian friends goes without question - but this decision is yet another indication of watering down the Gospel - and of the insidious intrusion of Satan into Christian thought. God loves all people. We all come to Him initially as sinners - but we can't keep sinning and be in positions of leadership within the body of Christ. This new ruling is an aberration of God's laws. It is one thing to have the grace to continue to hear those who bring such notions to the voting floor; it is quite another to succumb to their 'political correctness' thrust by violating God's Word.

I actually stopped attending the Presbyterian Church precisely 3 years ago, but only finally withdrew my membership officially this Spring, after receiving a call from the church secretary asking me if that was my desire. I had to say, sadly, "yes." I originally left quietly over a theological issue with my specific church - but I would have left now were I not already gone. This heart-breaking decision makes that separation final. I am incredibly sad, and I know God's heart burgeons with a sadness even greater than that which I am capable of feeling.

Lord, have mercy....

No comments:

Post a Comment