Friday, March 9, 2012

JOURNEY TO RESURRECTION, Day 15

WOW! Day 15 already....

As I mentioned yesterday, John 7:53 - John 8:11 is not in the earliest and most reliable manuscripts. My first complaint to those who provide that information is that at the very least they could have provided a date for the earliest that this story was inserted. It would make a difference if it was within just a few years, or much later.... There are all sorts of reasons why it may not have been included. Perhaps it was there in the original early manuscript, but as other scribes copied the texts, this one was too racy so they excluded it.... Then if the original disappeared, the earliest manuscripts we are aware of wouldn't have it.... Or perhaps it was added later by someone who knew the story and wondered why John didn't think to include it.... While I cannot know the answers I'd like to have, what I do know is that the story is consistent with what Jesus taught. It echoes of the story of the Samaritan woman at the well.

This story-that-purportedly-isn't-supposed-to-be-here is the story of the woman caught in adultery. Adultery was punishable by stoning. (And, yes, I do pay attention to the fact that the male who was also guilty is absent, but they didn't address that, so I'll resist the temptation to say more.) In this account it is significant that the woman was coercively brought to Jesus by the Scribes and Pharisees, with ill intention.

Jesus was in the cross hairs, whichever answer He gave: to stone or not to stone. So He said nothing. He just squatted down and wrote something in the dust with his finger. They continued questioning Him, so He stooped down and wrote again. What He wrote we will never know, but He put the responsibility of stoning squarely back on their shoulders. He challenged them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." Again, He bent down and wrote on the ground.

And one at a time, from the eldest first to the youngest last, those who heard began to disperse. At last, Jesus rose back up and asked her, "Where are your accusers? Has no one condemned you?

"No one, sir." she softly replied.

Then Jesus looked into her eyes and said, "I don't condemn you either. Go. But leave your life of sin." (My paraphrase.)

What wonderful words to hear! And it is consistent with what Jesus taught elsewhere, which is undoubtedly why the church fathers haven't deleted it along the way from then to now. Condemnation and accusation is from Satan; conviction leading to repentance is from the Holy Spirit.

Another brief note from this passage is the reminder that Jesus taught regularly at the temple. It was where the teachers of the law gathered, discussed, taught, argued. He was there regularly. What He taught was not whispered in secret. It was taught openly. In fact, the next verses in John confirm that.

John 8:12 declares one of Jesus 'I am' statements. "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." The Pharisees were right there to challenge Him! Their point was that someone cannot be witness for himself. Good point if you are not Jesus.... But Jesus uses it as a teaching moment, and declares that the Father is His witness. They take the bait.

"Where is your Father?" they inquire. Jesus' response made it clear that He was claiming equality with God - the very thing they were trying to catch Him in saying! "If you knew me, you would know my Father also." The only reason he wasn't arrested on the spot was because His hour had not yet come. No one could do anything to Him until He allowed it. And He allowed it for us!

Their further discussion led Him to very directly tell them they would die of their sins - and that they were of this world, but He is not. "I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins." He had said it many times before. He was/is the One they were looking for - the Messiah, the One who could save them, but they refused to accept Him. He telegraphs to them then that after He has been lifted up (on the cross) then they will know that He is who He says He is....

One phrase leaps off the page at me, "He who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him." When I pray to be Christlike, that is what I am praying for - to do the things that are pleasing to Him. To be led by God in every aspect of life.

Many people believed, and to them He said, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." He was the living word! He was the source of being set free from trespasses and sins that weighed them down. He was and is the Truth. The only Truth.

I'll save His next remarks for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment