Saturday, March 24, 2012

JOURNEY TO RESURRECTION, Day 28

In the final verses of John 12, the Apostle John records Jesus' declaration to those present - words that echo down through time to us.... (I am quoting from the ESV; John 12:44-50):

"Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day. For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment -- what to say and what to speak. And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I say, therefore, I say as the Father has told me."

Powerful, loving words of Truth! These would be preposterous claims if they were not true. Jesus clearly states His deity. "Whoever sees me sees him who sent me."

In Jesus' first coming He came as the sacrificial Lamb - he came to save. His Hebrew name, Yeshua, the name He was given at birth, even means 'savior, deliverer, rescuer'.

He is the Living Word - and His written Word, the Bible, when faithfully translated, gives us everything we need as a solid foundation for knowing how to come to Him as the One who is the light of the world, and how to live in this world as reflections of His light. Then, so we would not be without support, God gave us the Holy Spirit as Comforter, Counselor and an ever-present witness of 'the Messiah living within us' confirming our relationship to God as joint heirs with Christ and our ever-present help, if we let Him be.

The first step for every person who wants eternal life is: accept Jesus for who He is! He is God! He is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world, but it is God Himself who came to do that for us. He clothed Himself in human form and became the sacrifice that sin demanded. He, author of the world and all of creation, promised to send a Savior - and He did. He came Himself! He is the Light of the world. He offers us life - abundant Life for all of eternity!

This chorus bursts from my heart:

He is Lord, He is Lord
He has risen from the dead and He is Lord.
Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess
That Jesus Christ is Lord.

I have been in a spiritual battle, but Jesus' declaration of who He is - God! - is a reminder of the One who chooses to have a relationship with me. In fact, He reminded me this morning that He yearns to be in that relationship with me. Incredible! God wants to be close to me! It is not a one-sided relationship of only me wanting to be close to Him!

We are living in troubled times - but they do not come as a surprise. How they specifically play out may - but as Time comes to an end, things will get dicey. Good will be called Evil and Evil will be called Good. I shouldn't be surprised.

But, I'm encouraged that He wins! I know the end of His story!

I am reminded, "Keep looking up."

Lord, help me be a faithful follower and a faithful witness to Your love, grace and forgiveness. Draw people to You before it is too late. It feels like the end of time is very near.... Help me not be diverted by the inconsequential. It is an ever-present threat. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment