Friday, March 23, 2012

REFERENDUM 74 - TO REPEAL SB 2639

Today has been a grappling day. I definitely have not been at peace. My spirit is troubled, and one of the salient issues is the effect that Senate Bill 2639 will have if it is enacted. My way to process is to write, so I did, and now I am going to post what I wrote to my blog.

 
WHY R-74 MATTERS:
Senate Bill 2639 (SB 2639) changes the definition of marriage from being between a man and a woman to being between any two people over age 18. That’s a huge decision for legislators to make without referring it to the voters, and from the beginning I’ve felt this needed to be a State of Washington voter decision, since it has such far-reaching ramifications. Our legislators work very hard to try to do the right thing and serve their state well – but sometimes they collectively get it wrong, and I believe this time they did! This is a bad Bill on multiple levels.

SB 2639 does not add any rights for same-sex couples, other than calling their union marriage. The Domestic Partnership laws for our state grant same-sex couples all of the rights and privileges associated with a committed civil union. It just isn’t called marriage. So – those who would claim this is a civil rights issue are wrong. Same-sex couples have all of the same civil rights as married couples already. The Domestic Partnership Bill took care of the prior wrongs associated with loved ones not getting to be together in their final moments, etc, and that is the kind and humane thing to do.

Marriage is not a civil right. Marriage, by definition, is a union between a man and woman – and has been so from the most ancient of times. It’s a big deal to change the definition.

Because we do not legislate Bible-honoring morality, I could understand there being a CIVIL COMMITMENT UNION CEREMONY between same-sex couples – but marriage was God’s design, with procreation as an explicit part of the relationship, and same-sex couples do not procreate. That is not to say they cannot have a surrogate mother give birth to a child they will raise. That is already done. Or, in the case of female partners, have one of them artificially inseminated. That is already being done. I may not applaud that as normal cultural behavior – but I accept it. It is part of living in a fallen world. I believe same sex couples can be decent parents, even though it is not ideal. That is not the issue for me. Calling a union ‘marriage’ when it does not honor the One who created marriage is a big deal!

I would agree that marriage in our society is broken – but marriage is still sacred. It was God’s idea. It is God’s Word. And – the only marriage He will sanctify is one between a man and a woman. That is Biblical truth. My nature is to have a live-and-let-live attitude about a lot of things – but this Bill went too far. You cannot change the definition of what God calls holy. Calling something marriage that God doesn't see as marriage does not legitimize it. It is a travesty.

Still, the bigger issue for me concerns what the Bill does not protect. Even if ‘marriage’ is voted by the populace to apply to any two consenting adults, this Bill does not provide adequate protection for those who disagree. This was touted as a civil rights issue (which it is not) but it will become one – and the civil rights that will be denied are for those (like me) who believe what the Bible says – that acting on homosexual inclinations is sin. It is not sin to have the feelings. It is a sin to act on those feelings. That’s the truth. I didn’t make the rule. God did. But if this is viewed as a civil rights issue, it will become ‘wrong’ to state the truth. That is a huge issue! The Bible is the only plumb line for Truth. It is Absolute Truth, and God lists a lot of things that are sin - and homosexual behavior is one of them. I don't address the issue very often - - but if I say that as a fact, it is not a hate crime. It's just the truth.

And, in other states where similar laws have been passed, some who don't want to provide services - such as photographers and caterers - have been sued. The Bill as presented in Washington only protects clergy: pastors, priests and imams - no one else.

I know that God's Word clearly tells us that in the end of time, men will call evil good, and good evil. Sadly, we're there.

So - my recommendation to stay the tide is to sign the green sheets - Referendum 74 - which will put this issue on the ballot. Then we'll find out what the populace of Washington thinks...not just a vocal minority.

I do not make phone calls - or go door-to-door, but I will be sending out some copies of R-74 to educate those I love so they can make their own choice about how to respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment