Wednesday, May 5, 2010

MORE THOUGHTS ‘WHILE WE WAIT’

May 5, 2010: Cinco de Mayo!

Castanets and heels of dancing feet click; hands clap in dissonant rhythm; tongues trill a predictable cry of exultation. All, of course, are included in my merely mental image of colorfully-clad mariachis and dancing maidens celebrating. Ariba y ariba!

I’ve never actually known what the day celebrates – so I looked it up. The internet is an amazing tool! I found out that it is a celebration of the Mexican army’s surprise victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla, May 5, 1862. The date is most celebrated in the State of Puebla in Mexico – and rightly so – but it has spread to be a voluntary celebration just for the fun of celebrating – or a good reason for Mexican restaurants to offer specials! Take your pick! The whole story is a history lesson worth reading. Cinco de Mayo is celebrated more in the Southwestern United States than it is in Mexico. Isn’t that fascinating?

O K. I admit it – that was a bunny trail – before I even got started – but how can I write May 5 and not acknowledge the date?

Two days ago I reported that on Sunday we shared the verses we think we’d use as our dying opportunity to reach out to those standing by, were we to be ‘killed’ for our faith. What I shared in class Sunday as my choice was Ephesians 6:10-18, which I already used in a blog entry on April 7, 2010 – but the reason I chose that passage was for my children and grandchildren. I would want them to be strong in the Lord, and to put on their spiritual armor – to know that my death in those circumstances was to honor God.

In class I explained that it would depend on the circumstances: that people who have lived a long, full life – who are dying ready to meet God – have often already said everything they wanted to say. In fact, those who stood by my mother-in-law’s bedside while she was still able to speak, said that among her final thoughts was a concern that someone would eat the cantaloupe in the refrigerator. She didn’t want it to go to waste. But, in her final moments, she also affirmed her faith in the Lord, proclaiming that she had always loved Him. Those were tender words to hang onto.

My ‘final words’ are something to be done as part of my bucket list. I want to leave my kids and grandkids a legacy of family history and family faith in written form. I have concluded that my blog provides me both motivation and opportunity for doing just that!

Coincidentally, our speaker in church Sunday was a man who has been involved in some terribly frightening aspects of missions, in being one who takes supplies into some very scary areas following disasters. Some call him 'the Indiana Jones' of missions. He told the story of one young man who came to faith in Jesus – and in doing so, rejected his Muslim past – and soon after was captured and placed in a metal shipping container with 300 other men who had become Christians. They were given a little bread and a cup of tea as their daily rations. They had buckets for elimination of personal waste – and he was one of the ones allowed to carry the buckets out once a day. Lucky him. All of the rest of the time, they were confined.

Finally, eighteen of them were taken out one day and told to dig their own graves. He was one of the eighteen. Once the graves were dug, they were ushered back to their container, and one at a time each man was taken out to stand by the grave he had dug. Each time a man was taken out, the men in the container heard the shots of the assault rifles, and when the next person in turn exited the container to stand next to his open grave, he could see the filled-in graves of the men who had been taken out before him. Each man was told if he would reject Jesus Christ he could live. Out of the eighteen men, only one denied his faith. Seventeen men faced death and remained true to the faith they professed.

The rest of the story: When the first man stood beside the grave he had dug, he was given the ultimatum – and stood firm in his faith. The shots of the rifles rang out – but the captors shot above his head, then ushered him off to a cave away from the area. The assailants filled in the freshly dug grave so it appeared he had been killed and buried; then they brought out the next person. That scenario was repeated over and over until the last of the eighteen had come face to face with his demise. None were actually killed – but each one who faced the firing squad was convinced the others had been.

It happens all the time in other countries. People are killed for holding fast to their faith in Jesus Christ. It could happen here. It probably will before time ends. It isn’t something to fear – but is worth assessing if it is truly well with our soul.

Live Ready. Die Ready. And if I go before you – be strong. Stand firm!

The world can be a scary place. I’m so glad to know who holds my hand . . . and my future.

Life now:
There is a new Women’s Study at church that started Thursday night. We watch DVD presentations by Jennifer Rothschild, a beautiful, blind woman, who is teaching on walking by faith not by sight. I have yearned to be part of a Women’s Bible Study again. I learn best when I am in a disciplined study. And the study is good! Many of the ‘lessons’ are reminders – things I’ve said to others – but the Word of God is always fresh – and I want God to grow me through this process. I can already feel the sprouts! His Word is fresh and new every day! Isn’t it amazing that we can discard a song that’s a few years old as outdated, but His Word is fresh and new every morning – just like the manna God gave the children of Israel as they wandered in the desert.

I realize I do need to TRUST him more…and I’m excited to be on the journey….

THE FOLLOWING VERSES ARE HIS PROMISES TO ME TODAY – brought back to my mind by God Himself during study this morning in response to concerns I wrote down as directed to do in my study guide. God is faithful! He is bigger than the concerns that sometimes weigh heavily on my heart!

Isaiah 26:3 ESV
You keep him (her) in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because s/he trusts in you.

Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (will direct your paths)

1 Peter 5:6-7 NIV
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Isaiah 54:17 NIV
…no weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and this is their vindication from me,” declares the LORD.

LORD, thank you for your Word – and thank you for Bible Gateway, so when you bring promises so clearly to me, I can find where they are located….

TRUST: walking – not just talking – our faith….

No comments:

Post a Comment