Monday, May 17, 2010

WAITING FOR PENTECOST

May 17, 2010

I have been so excited – waiting for Pentecost – and this morning eagerly Googled ‘Pentecost’ to see what I could find on the internet. Something immediately caught my eye – Wikipedia stated that Pentecost was 10 days after Ascension Thursday. Wait a minute. The ascension date I’d honored had not been a Thursday. And – I was so keyed in to the precise 50 days after resurrection that I thought the actual date of Pentecost was going to be on a Monday….

I goofed. When I took down the calendar that I used to count off the days I found I had made 2 gargantuan errors. One – I didn’t count Resurrection Day as Day 1 – which is absolutely necessary for the timing to make Pentecost land on a Sunday…. I counted from Easter, with Monday as my day 1… which made a Monday day 50. Two – the calendar I used replicates the final week of April at the top of the page for May, so I had actually re-counted April 25-30 in my count-off of the days…. Soooooooooo, contrary to my erroneous calculations, Pentecost is still to come. Pentecost Sunday will be May 23, 2010. In one sense I am relieved. Last week was too busy to do advance research. Now I can be ready – and can enjoy the anticipation.

I hate to make mistakes – but I don’t mind being wrong. That is not an oxymoron. I am more than happy to admit my mistakes – but I hate that I got it wrong – and let other people down in the process of my asserting so authoritatively that Ascension occurred on May 7, when, in fact, according to the correct counting and adapted understanding of including Easter as the first day, Ascension was actually Thursday, May 13 (this year).

If I had counted properly in the first place – I would have placed it on May 14, so still would have been wrong. I needed just a bit more information that I didn’t have. My most sincere apologies to my readers – even though I know that only means a couple of people!

My band instructor in high school told me he just loved it when I was the one who made a mistake, because I never played tentatively – he knew immediately who it was, and could tell me I’d missed the sharp or flat that would correct the mistake. I am wrong on occasion – absolutely certain of my facts, only to find out they aren’t accurate. I like to have accurate information. I like what I say to be right. When I don’t have the truth I can’t tell the truth. But – when I am wrong, I am very willing to admit it, make my apologies, correct my assumptions, and move forward – a bit chagrined, perhaps, but glad to have things straightened out. I wish someone else had caught my error and told me….but I am grateful I caught it before ‘Pentecost’ actually arrived. It’s not today, as I had supposed….

I wore red yesterday – thinking it was Pentecost Sunday – and thinking the actual date of Pentecost was today…. I’ll wear red again next Sunday – the real Pentecost Sunday!

It is a definite reality check. Sometimes in life I am wrong. When I find that to be true, I repent of the wrong, apologize when needed, and walk forward wiser than I was before. I’d love to be perfect. I’m not. I don’t live life on a pedestal….

So – my most sincere apologies – and let’s get back in the queue waiting for Pentecost to actually arrive!

It reminds me of people who don’t tell the truth about Jesus Christ – because they don’t have the truth to tell. Now that one, I am certain of…. He is who he says he is: fully God; fully human. I know whom I have believed and am persuaded he is able to keep that which I’ve committed to him against that day….

Meanwhile, yesterday’s Singspiration was precious. I didn’t count how many people came. I think there were about 25 of us, though, based on the number of chairs set up – but it wasn’t about numbers. It was absolutely beautiful seeing people’s faces. I fought tears all the way through. There was a sweet, sweet presence – and singing the old songs of our faith together was very dear. It is our love language – the songs of faith we sang at our spiritual birth and through our formative years.

I was very, very tired. I didn’t get enough sleep the night before because the dog awakened me just after 2:30 a m barking vociferously at the coyotes. And – I was poignantly aware that one man I had hoped would be there ‘one more time’ for our Singspiration was not there. Phil Wayman, age 88, soon to go be with the Lord, was in Sunday School two weeks ago – but his body is giving out – and his spirit is eager to be with the Lord.

Knowing he is a dying man, he set about to use his final moments on this earth very intentionally. The report this week was that during this past week, he called a man he had tried to lead to the Lord 50 years before. Phil said his piece – told the man this was a message from a dying man – and hung up. His hearing isn’t good, and he couldn’t hear what the other fellow said back.

About an hour later, the fellow’s brother called to tell Phil that his brother had called him after Phil called, and that he had given his heart to the Lord. What an inspiration. Phil is eager to get to heaven – but he wants to take as many people with him as he can. And what a message of tenacity. He had prayed for the man off and on over the years – and in his declining moments – eternity shared was on his mind. When Phil steps across the threshold to his eternal reward he will definitely hear, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

We are each called to different ministries, different opportunities. I can’t imagine doing what Phil did – but who knows? I’ve done some pretty bizarre things I suppose – they just didn’t seem like they were bizarre at the time. When I feel the Holy Spirit compel me, I cannot say no….

Even though I was tired, the songs sung in community energized me. It was a beautiful moment – now a shared memory.

Thank you, Lord, for Christian community. Thank you for voices raised together in heartfelt praise. Where 2 or 3 are gathered together in your name, there you are in the midst of them. Thank you! In our going, help us disciple….

1 comment:

  1. As one of your two followers(Ha!), may I speak for both of us and say...though completely unnecessary, your apology is most graciously accepted! I'm glad to hear the Singspiration was a success. I would have loved to have been there to sing those old hymns with you. They are definitely wonderful,inspirational and so evocative...especially of my childhood years. Thanks for reminding us of how great they are...Genny

    ReplyDelete