Saturday, May 8, 2010

NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER in retrospect

(National Day of Prayer was Thursday May 6)

Reading for today:
2 Chronicles 7:13-15
Isaiah 55:6
Deuteronomy 9:26
Nahum 1:7

... “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14)

The very first time I attended a National Day of Prayer gathering was in Montesano – back in the early 1980’s – and this was the focus verse.

This year, for the very first time, I attended the National Day of Prayer gathering on the steps of the State Capitol building in Olympia. I had no idea what precisely to expect, but envisioned camera crews and potential protesters or cat calls; opportunities to extend grace and demonstrate the love that faith in Jesus Christ demands. I also expected it to be a huge crowd that packed out the space available. It was a respectable and respectful crowd. That was actually a relief. I don’t like being in huge, crushing crowds, and I certainly don’t like anything that might be confrontational.

There were a few people taking pictures – one likely from the local newspaper – but it held none of the drama I thought might occur. It was well organized and flowed beautifully, moving from one prepared prayer to the next in perfect sequence. It began with the blowing of a shofar, followed by a brass fanfare from a trumpet trio. I noticed that one man’s trumpet was well worn – while the other two were in pristine condition.

I was a trumpet player from the 4th grade through my Senior year in high school. My last year playing in band was actually my Junior year – but I continued playing at church until I left for college the fall of 1963… then the trumpet was passed on to my little brother for ‘his turn.’ I love to hear well-played trumpets – and the trumpet trio was well done. The blowing of the shofar also brought back pleasant memories. When I was in Israel on tour several years ago, one of the men in our tour group was shopping for a shofar, when I just happened to walk into the shop where he was considering his options. He asked my opinion - based purely on appearance, and I asked the shop owner if I could blow them. The sound of one of them was far superior to the other. It was the more expensive of the two – but definitely worth it. Just blowing it was a thrill. He thanked me graciously - and bought the one that sounded like 'the trumpet of the Lord.'

Ah – I am a bunny trail pro.

The verse printed on the cover of the bulletin we received as we approached the steps was Nahum 1:7 “The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in Him.”

The agenda for the day included:
A Marine color guard;
The Pledge of Allegiance;
The National Anthem sung by a young female soloist with a beautiful voice;
The Proclamation for this Day of Prayer signed by the Governor of Washington State, Christine Gregoire, and a prayer for the governor and state leaders based on 1 Timothy 2:1-3;
Washington State Declaration of Dependence on God;
Prayer for Military, Police and Firefighters;
Prayers for our nation based on the Ten Commandments, followed by The Lord’s Prayer;
A solo: “Hear Us From Heaven” by another young woman with a beautiful voice;
Then the colors were retired;
There was an ending Announcement and Blessing in which we were encouraged to make every day a National Day of Prayer;
And the event ended with a final brass fanfare.

The only prayer that appeared to be unwritten and unrehearsed was the final blessing, so it would be easy to describe it as sanitized – but what was prayed was deeply felt. There was a sense among us that the privilege of meeting in public on the steps of a place so public as the Capitol could be in future jeopardy. It was definitely ecumenical – nothing anyone should feel uncomfortable participating in. There were school kids, office employees, retired people…a conglomeration of humanity representing various Judeo-Christian faiths.

Franklin Graham was the honorary Chairman for the 2010 National Day of Prayer. This is his printed prayer:

LORD,

We are thankful for the abundant blessings You have bestowed on America. Our forefathers looked to You as Protector, Provider and the Promise of hope. But we have wandered far from that firm foundation. May we repent for turning our backs on Your faithfulness.

- We pray that this great nation will be restored by Your forgiveness.
- From bondage, You grant freedom.
- Through Your own sacrifice, You offer salvation.
- From the state of despair, You offer peace.
- From the bounties of Heaven, You have blessed – not because of our goodness but by Your grace.

You have given us freedom to worship You in spirit and in truth as Your holy Word instructs. May our lives honor You in word and deed. May our nation acknowledge that all good things come from the Father above.

President Lincoln proclaimed that our nation should set apart a day for national prayer to confess our sins and transgressions in sorrow, “yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon . . . announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those only are blessed whose God is the Lord.”

“We have vainly imagined in the deceitfulness of our own hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own . . . we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to God who made us! It behooves us then . . . to confess our national sins and to pray for clemency and forgiveness.”

Help us to pray earnestly for our president and leaders who govern, that they will humble themselves and seek Your guidance so that everything we do will shine the light of Your glory in a darkened world.

May our prayers as a people and a nation be heard and blessed for such a time as this. We make this plea in faith, believing in the mighty name of Jesus our Lord.

Amen.

(Well, actually, the program this was printed on said ‘Amem.’ But I rather imagine Franklin’s prayer ended with Amen….)

This year was the 59th annual National Day of Prayer. Next year – the 60th – I plan to be there again, on the steps of the Capitol, among others who are praying for the future of our cities, counties, state and nation. I was glad I went and want to celebrate the privilege of gathering to pray publicly for our nation again!

I might not have gone had it not been for a call from Paula the day before inviting me to join her. I had thought about it – but I needed the nudge. It felt like it might be something outside my comfort zone. It wasn’t at all. If you’re local and can make the commitment for next year – let this be your nudge. The first Thursday in May, 2011. I’m planning to be there! Bring a blanket to sit on. The steps are hard. Definitely pray for good weather – but come, prepared for the weather whatever it is.

We are admonished to pray. We must pray: privately, corporately, and united with all of God’s people throughout the nation and the world. If my people….

2 comments:

  1. God does answer prayer. u r invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes He does!!!!! Just not always the way we'd like to write the script.... Thank God He knows best!

    ReplyDelete