Sunday, May 9, 2010

MOTHER’S DAY

Reading for today:
Proverbs 31:10-31

I’ve driven past the homestead in West Virginia where ‘Mother’s Day’ as a celebration was conceived. Apparently Anna Jarvis thought mothers should have a special day – and after her death, her daughter – also named Anna Jarvis – became champion of that goal as a tribute to her mother. In May 1907 she gave out 500 carnations – one for every mother at her mother’s church in Grafton, West Virginia, and then on May 10, 1908 the first Sunday service honoring mothers was held at that same church.

It was a ball sent rolling, that once started, quickly gathered support. By 1909 Mother’s Day services were held in 46 states plus Canada and Mexico. That’s a pretty fast turnaround for an event to catch on! It was quickly adopted as a commercial opportunity – which was not what she hoped for – and the rest, as they say, is history.

Our day was wonderful! To make it easy on the Moms who were present, we had a wiener roast. The kids even made a few s’mores – and we topped off the treats with fresh strawberry shortcake – our first of the season. Minimal effort. Minimal clean-up. Maximum joy! Several of the kids rode the zipline. There were a few pictures taken – a nerf football tossed around between various people – a lot of chat about sundry things – a couple of blond jokes. A good day!

When I was in high school I was asked to sing a special song for a Mother’s Day Tea. This morning it was wending its way through my memory:

M is for the million things she gave me.
O means only that she’s growing old.
T is for the tears she shed to save me.
H is for her heart of purest gold.
E is for her eyes with love-light shining.
R’s for right and right she’ll always be.
Put them all together they spell MOTHER, the word that means the world to me.

And my Dad had a poem he used to quote that suits the day beautifully:

When we were courting he promised me gold
And all the furs my arms could hold
He said the world he would lay at my feet –
I dared not believe, but it’s true and complete!

I have a gold filling – third molar, I think
And a purring old cat with fur soft as mink.
The world he tracks in all over the room
And I sweep it out ahead of my broom –

But I love him!

My Dad quoted poetry frequently – he had a seemingly unending supply. Now those memories come back as joys – remembering, sifting through memories. And today will become a memory for our grandkids – perhaps not this one specifically – but the generality of time shared with cousins growing up together. A good, good day!

Thank you, Lord!

March 24, 1983 I wrote a little poem to my daughters that also suits this day well:

I’d like to be a daughter
to a mother just like me
I’d like to help her cook and sew
and go on shopping sprees.

I’d like to see her eyes light up
with pleasure and surprise
When I did little special things
like bake some berry pies.

I’d be so glad to be her kid
. . . I’d always understand
When she did what was best for me
I’d know that was the plan.

But I am not the daughter –
I guess that’s plain to see –
So I hope you like to be the kid
of a mother just like me.

My middle daughter responded to my poem with one of her own December 8, 1995:

TO MOM

I love that I’m the daughter
of a mother just like you.
I love your caring heart
And all the special things you do.

I love to come home and see you,
To feel your warm embrace.
I love to see the smile
That so lights up your face.

I love all the memories
Of our happy family
I thank God each and every day
For all He’s given me.

I wish that you had felt the love
Of a mother just like you.
I’m glad that God has blessed you with
This family whose love is true.

I hope and pray that someday
When I’m a Mom I’ll be
As wonderful and loving
As you have been to me.

For you have been the kind of mom
Every kid could ever wish for.
And I have been so blessed by God
To have this mom that I adore.

I’m so glad to be your kid
. . . I finally understand
when you did what was best for me
I know that was the plan

I love you mom and hope you know
How much you mean to me
As far as I’m concerned
I’m the luckiest kid there could ever be!

With love, E_ _ _

Both poems – hers and mine – are framed, and hang above my bathroom counter. I have been incredibly blessed. Incredibly, incredibly blessed. More than I ever imagined possible!

I’m not saying everything in my life is roses with no thorns. That’s how roses come – but they are still, hands down, my favorite flower. And the roses make it worth the occasional prick…. That applies to life, too.

Our reading for today reminds us of a ‘superwoman’ of Bible days. I can’t be her – but I can be the best me possible by placing my hand in the Lord’s and walking with Him intentionally.

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment