Saturday, June 19, 2010

END TIMES PROPHECY: Matthew 24:36-44

Matthew 24:36-44 (Jesus speaking, con't)
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you must also be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.


(Some manuscripts do not have ‘nor the Son’. I don’t know if it is the older manuscripts or the newer that omit ‘nor the Son’ – wish I did know that little detail…but the NIV footnote doesn’t’ specify.)

I grew up (from age 8 to +-22) in a Pentecostal Church. I heard lots of views on prophecy. Many of them stated that the Christians would be removed from the earth in the rapture before the awful stuff happened. Others believed it would be half way through the 7 year tribulation. I don't recall ever hearing someone speak who thought Christians would live through all of it....

I found end times prophecy to be fascinating...and sometimes fear-filled. I wanted to grow up, fall in love, marry, and have a family before Jesus returned. I remember praying God would wait until I had that chance. 'When I was a child, I thought as a child, spoke as a child....'

Now, of course, I realize that some generation will be interrupted....why not mine....

Looking at Matthew 24: 29-35 again, it sounds like Jesus return to gather those who believe in him is going to be after some pretty severe distress. I don't know exactly how it will play out - God doesn't need me to know - He just needs me to trust him. All I know is he said it - and it will come to pass. Some things are easy to see how they might play out - others are not.

And that segues perfectly into today's verses. No one knows the day or the hour. No one who prophesies a specific day is right. There is a lot of talk about the Mayan calendar,and that it ends on December 21, 2012 - 12-21-2012. Anyone who is interested can explore and gather all kinds of information on the internet. They are conjectures. And - serve no purpose.

What we are told to do is pay attention to the general signs. We need to know what to expect so we aren't deceived, and we need to live intentionally every day, knowing it could be our last. When 9/11 happened in 2001, I asked the Lord if it was 'the end', and he clearly told me: "Keep on keeping on. Occupy until I come." He hasn't changed his mind about those directions - and has only confirmed that message with other subsequent encouragement to 'persevere'.

It is easy to get deterred and bogged down - - but his directive is clear. We are to see the signs of our time as a warning - a head's up - pray for those who have not accepted him and follow him closely. It's hard not to be distracted.

Earlier this week I wrote a list of God's priorities for my life. Sometimes in working toward those specifics there are challenges - big challenges - but I believe with all my heart that God gives us the desire and ability to do his good pleasure - and that as we follow more closely, we learn to set aside all of the encumbrances. I'm learning - and leaning on his grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment