Saturday, June 26, 2010

HANGING IN THERE





Many times when I've believed I was doing exactly what God asked of me things have gone topsy-turvy, and I've felt like I was left hanging upside down. I don't know the reason why things sometimes go that way - and may not ever know this side of heaven - and when I get there, I won't care!

Jesus tells us in John 16:33 "In this world you will have trouble." Thankfully the good news he extends follows immediately, "But take heart! I have overcome the world." That verse actually begins with the statement: "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace."

He is our peace in the storm. When the script doesn't go the way we thought it would. When we need direction. His Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. (Psalm 119:105)

The words of the Psalmist come back to me for comfort: Yeah, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. (Psalm 23 KJV)

And - the words of the hymn 'It is well with my soul' sing comfort as well. In the storm, when there is trouble - or turmoil - or distress - I can do a soul-check and know with certainty:

"Whatever my lot, thou has taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul."

Thank you, Lord. And help me fine the fun when life leaves me hanging upside down. It must be lurking there somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment