Wednesday, April 13, 2011

THE 2011 NIV

They've revised the NIV. New for 2011. The last copyright was 1984, which was a long break, considering their other copyright dates were 1973 and 1978.

The reason I noticed is that I do a lot on Bible Gateway for comparisons - and since I noted that they had updated to a 2011 copyright date, and I am working on the final stages of the children's musical I decided I'd better compare the scripture passages I use in the musical with the newest edition.

There are no earth-shattering theological changes so far - but there are a lot of little changes in just the verses I am using. Now the dilemma: stay with the old, go with the new; or use some of the other texts I've compared these verses in - - such as the New King James Version.

It is yet another reminder that the most certain thing we can count on is change - and the familiar is so - well - familiar.... Sort of like Mom's cooking.

I grew up on the King James. It is what most of my memorization is from. In other editions I find myself getting the gist of the meaning - but not the precise wording. But - - when the NIV came out and I learned that it was from older texts - so plausibly more accurate - I started using it. Then we had a pastor for 10 years in Montesano who used the New English Bible - and I grew attached to it. In the past year, my daughter talked me into purchasing an ESV - and I appreciate it. I've read The New Century version for comparisons as well as several others, but the NIV (1984) was my go-to foundation that I compared everything else to.

Now it's 'new' again. More politically correct in some ways - - with more inclusive language - - but without compromising the truth of the gospel in anything I've read so far. It just catches me off guard. And - - in some cases, a definite improvement. I'll share some of the specifics I've found later just for the fun of sharing - - but for now I choose to be grateful that I paid attention to the date change - so I can make a choice with God's leading for which version to use for each of the verses in the musical. God's timing is perfect - and the most certain thing I can count on is 'change.' Those are important lessons to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment