Friday, April 1, 2011

LENT 2011, Day 21

When I re-read my highlighted portions of Isaiah 64 this morning before moving on to the next chapter, something leaped out at me that I didn't pay attention to yesterday. The one simple word is 'all'. In verse 8, where it says, "we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand' I didn't take note of the 'all', in fact, when I went back to yesterday's blog entry, I had left out the all. So I fixed it!

If I were not committed to doing a chapter a day I think I could easily get stuck for several days on one chapter - but, I remind myself, this is not a Bible Study, this is for my devotions, so I will hit highlights that leap out to me and move on.

At the end of Isaiah 64, Isaiah asks God, "Will you keep silent?"

God was exasperated beyond measure with His chosen people. Isaiah 65, therefore, is prophetic of the period of the Acts of the Apostles. God's response to Isaiah's question , it appears, is to announce to Isaiah that God will extend His favor to us - the Gentiles. "I said, 'Here am I, here am I,' to a nation that was not called by my name." That extends to everyone else who is not His chosen people, Israel. But - that time of the Gentiles has a limit - and with the Bible prophecy unfolding before our eyes at warp speed, that time is near its end.

God disciplines His unbelieving child (Israel) but He does not forsake her. Isaiah 65 portrays both the beauty and the peace that will return to Israel. God will have a remnant who do not forsake Him, and His anger will not last forever. It can't. He promised otherwise, and He keeps His promises.

The last section of the chapter defines that time of perfection. Some of it still confuses me. But most of it sounds like the Thousand Year Reign when Jesus first comes back to earth. God declares through Isaiah, "For, behold I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind." He tells in present tense, "I create Jerusalem to be a joy...." And in future tense, "I will rejoice in Jerusalem and be glad in my people...."

The part that doesn't track for me is when He talks about death still occurring. And sinners who are accursed.... I'm going to have to do some further digging to see if I can sort this out. Otherwise, it is going to just have to be one of those things I trust to God.

I love the hope portrayed as this chapter ends: "...Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear. The wolf and the lamb shall graze together; the lion shall eat straw like the ox, and dust shall be the serpent's food. They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain," says the LORD.

Our world is topsy-turvy. It calls evil good, and good evil. But God's Word is our plumb line. Even when there are things I don't understand for the moment - I know God's Word is true.

Postscript about April 1:
Today is April Fool's Day. Several years ago I heard it called the Athiest's Holiday because of 2 verses in Psalms, 14:1 and 53:1.

Psalm 14:1 and Psalm 53:1 are nearly identical in the NIV:
The fool says in his heart, "There is no God."

This morning I told Al April 1 is the Athiest's Holiday. He asked why, and I said, "Well, everyone needs a day and this is theirs." He persisted with 'why' so I quoted that verse. I probably shouldn't have. But - we have been having an ongoing discussion about 'religion' this week ever since he called me down the other night to watch a movie he found on T V called Religulous.

This morning I explained to him that I understand doubt - but that the Bible was written over a period of 1500 years, and completed almost 2000 years ago - yet what it says is true. He says it is manipulated, and that even 1500 years is short in the time of man's existence. I said, "Not if man has only been on earth for 6,000 years." He laughed at me, as usual, and the conversation ended shortly after that....

It was only in looking up the verse just now that I am seeing it in context. The rest of that verse reads, " They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good."

The NIV footnote says, "The Hebrew words rendered fool in Psalms denotes one who is morally deficient."

In reality the rest of the chapter speaks more clearly to my concern of not seeking Truth from the One who is Truth.

The chapter, in its entirety is:

1 The fool says in his heart,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt, and their ways are vile;
there is no one who does good.

2 God looks down from heaven
on all mankind
to see if there are any who understand,
any who seek God.
3 Everyone has turned away, all have become corrupt;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.

4 Do all these evildoers know nothing?

They devour my people as though eating bread;
they never call on God.
5 But there they are, overwhelmed with dread,
where there was nothing to dread.
God scattered the bones of those who attacked you;
you put them to shame, for God despised them.

6 Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion!
When God restores his people,
let Jacob rejoice and Israel be glad!

No comments:

Post a Comment