Tuesday, April 5, 2011

LENT 2011, Day 24

Yesterday I had to cut my time in Mark 1 short because I had to go make pancakes for my grandkids. In the remainder of the chapter, Jesus calls his first four disciples: Simon and Andrew, who were brothers; then James and John, who were also brothers - and identified as being the sons of Zebedee.

I wonder how Zebedee felt when his sons left him and walked away to follow Jesus. And I wonder how Simon's wife felt about this sudden change...but then I remember Simon was impetuous by nature. She already knew that about him.

Most of all I am in wonder at the compelling presence of God's Son. I hope that Zebedee affirmed the Master's call on his sons lives - and applauded their willingness to follow. There is so much we don't have opportunity to see in the snippets of information we are given. Like those who first heard Jesus teach in Capernaum and throughout Galilee, I am astonished at His compelling presence.

This chapter portrays that Jesus taught with authority, cast out demons with authority, healed out of compassion (with authority)...and prayed. I love that Mark pointed that out so early in Jesus' ministry. It is a wonderful reminder of the absolute imperative to pray. Verse 35 tells us: And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed.

I am grateful for this touchstone. It makes me poignantly aware of my need to pray - to come into alignment with God's design for my life through waiting in His presence. I scurry through my prayers too often. If Jesus needed to pray - then I certainly need to pray - to discipline myself to make the time. It is so easy to get diverted in my personal time with God - to get through the discipline of reading and writing - and skim through prayer. I definitely have the 'popcorn prayers' and 'praying without ceasing' throughout the day prayers down pat - but He longs to spend time with me sitting at His feet.... He's knocking.... Gotta go....

I'm back - briefly. I have a prayer list. I begin my prayer time with praise. It is where I find true attitude adjustment - and I feel compelled to share that part of my prayer list in my blog today. It is an accumulation of praises to God that have evolved over the past few years - since I started my computer prayer list.


2011: YEAR OF OBEDIENCE


*2011 Devotional Time and Prayer – GOAL: DAILY

Psalm 5:3
In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait in expectation.

*You instruct me to COME…into your courts with PRAISE! Psalm 100:4

1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

“I will enter Your gates with thanksgiving in my heart. I will enter Your courts with praise. I will say, ‘This is the day that the Lord has made.’ I will rejoice for You have made me glad.” (chorus)

PRAYERS OF ADORATION: (list of affirmations started Feb 1, 2008)
LORD, Praise your Holy name!
You are beautiful beyond description, too marvelous for words! Feb 16, 2011
You are brilliant! 10-31-2009
You are LIGHT!
You are pure!
You alone are perfect!
You are magnificent. And your creation is magnificent. The works of your hands are absolutely amazing, from the tiniest perfect little blossom, to the grandest, most expansive panoramic landscape.
You are sovereign. You are above all, before all, beyond all.
You are TRUTH. Absolute Truth. The Way, The Truth and The Life!
HOLY, HOLY, HOLY! LORD GOD ALMIGHTY! 5-20-2009
You are holy. Holy by your standard, holy beyond my grasp to comprehend.
You are wonderful. Your wonder is displayed all around me.
You are all-powerful. Omnipotent. You can do anything.
You are all-knowing. Omniscient. Nothing escapes you.
You are everywhere at once. Omnipresent. Nothing that happens is a surprise, for You are there. Nothing happens in this world that comes as a surprise to You.
You are all-seeing. Nothing is hidden from you.
You are El Roi, the ‘God-who-sees-me.’
You are everywhere. You are Omnipresent.
You are loving. Even your judgment is loving and comes from a heart of love. It is love-by-your-standard. You define love. Your love is perfect.
You are just. Your love extends to incorporate and include justice.
You are merciful. Your Amazing Love includes justice and incorporates mercy.
You are compassionate. You extend mercy far beyond my comprehension.
You are good. By definition there is no one good but you. You are the litmus test.
You are kind. LORD, you reveal your kindness in your Son – in your incarnation
You are awesome. There is none like you.
You are wise. So far beyond any wisdom man can attain – incomprehensible
You are strong. You alone are my strength.
You are The Almighty – Creator and Sustainer of life and all that supports life.
You are patient and longsuffering (but your spirit will not always strive with men.)
You are faithful.
You keep your word. Yet on many occasions you have mercifully swerved from meting out the destruction that you have forewarned.
You are near. You stand at the door and knock desiring for believers to open the door to embrace a consistent, intimate relationship with you. Rev 3:20
You are the Creator of the universe and all natural wonders in it. Gen 1:1; John 1:1
You are relational. You yearn for intimate relationships with people – with me.
You are the one and only Savior. You, as God incarnate, came to redeem.
You, through the Holy Spirit, are Nurturer, Comforter, Consoler, Counselor.
You are the source of all the fruits of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience (long-suffering), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.
You give good gifts to your people – gifts that allow them to share in you by reflecting your love to others.
You are near.
You care! You are amazing, GOD – and because of who you are, it is amazing that you are mindful of man!
You are Jehovah Jireh, my provider. Your grace is sufficient.
You are the Lion and the Lamb, the King and the Shepherd, The Lord of Glory and the Redeemer, Creator and Sacrifice. 1/24/2011
You are the giver of life – and the gift of life 2/16/2011
You are my all in all, my shelter, my comfort, my healer, my beloved. 1/25/2011
You are sufficient. 5-5-09
You are my strength.
You are my greatest treasure: in you I live and move and have my being
YOU ARE MY HIDING PLACE! 5-5-2009

No comments:

Post a Comment