Tuesday, April 19, 2011

LENT 2011, Day 36

On the Tuesday of what we call Holy Week Jesus, the teacher, taught. Mark 11:20-26 (ESV) tells us 'in the morning they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots.' Peter is the one who notices and comments. And Jesus uses the visual as a teaching opportunity - just as I suspected without reading ahead....

But what a lesson. I can't completely get my mind around it as stated. It is a portion of Jesus' teaching that can be taken totally out of context. I do know that it begins with 'Have faith in God.' I have to believe that the faith we have in God demands we come into alignment with Him in the process of faith - and that in the living out of that faith, we will be led by the Spirit, and asking within God's will.

If these verses were just taken out of the context of a faithfully-lived life, they would be terrifying. But - when the Holy Spirit inspires the prayer - and our faith rises up from that inspiration - miracles happen. God-sized miracles!

Mark 9:24 comes quickly to mind. “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” (2011 NIV).

God has been teaching me more about prayer recently. Several years ago He let me know He wants me to spend time with Him early in the morning. That time prepares me for the day. But - He has also made it very clear to me that it is the 'effectual, fervent prayer of the righteous man' that makes the most difference.

I can't even be righteous without having His Son as my Savior as the initial requirement - and righteousness means living as God wants me to live - living in obedience. He has very recently brought the reminder of the story of Elijah on Mt Carmel to mind. The prophets of Baal hollered and worked themselves into a frenzy - cutting themselves and 'praying' fervently to deaf Gods. Elijah's prayer was God-inspired and completely effective. I have to be careful not to let the leaven of the Pharisees infect my prayer focus. It isn't about the amount of time, but the effectual fervency of the prayer. And like the father in Mark 9, sometimes I have to pray, "I believe; help my unbelief."

One of the very significant things I do note about this instruction to the disciples who were with Him is that he makes it very clear that the level of their forgiving others is the level that God will measure out to them in His forgiveness. That is huge - and confirmed in the prayer model He gave His disciples in what we call 'The Lord's Prayer.' "Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors."

(I grew up in a church that said trespasses instead of debtor - then spent 38 years in a church that used the word 'debtor' - - and find the word 'debtor' speaks more clearly to the debt I owe the Lord that informs my forgiveness of others.)

The point is that forgiveness is a huge part of living out a faithful Christian life. In fact, we can't truly claim to be Christian without it. Forgiveness always sounds so commendable in theory - but when 'it' (whatever the it may be) is done to us, suddenly we want to rationalize being justified in our reactions and unforgiveness. It is a reality that hits us squarely between the eyes. Life, as we know it, is full of injustices - yet we are commanded to forgive. What we will learn when we do is that forgiveness releases us from the temptation to bitterness and isolation. Choosing forgiveness is freeing. But - we can't do it without the Holy Spirit's help....

In Mark 11:27-33 Mark lets us peek in on another confrontation at the temple with the chief priests, scribes and elders. Jesus had proclaimed His authority often enough. They were just trying to bait Him - and instead, He asked them a question they didn't dare answer. We have to remember they were just trying to catch Him in His words so they could find reason to accuse Him. He wasn't helping them out - and they were going to have to resort to lies to accomplish their intended goal.

Tuesday was Jesus final day of public teaching - and the day He gave what we refer to as the Olivet Discourse. There is a LOT to explore for Tuesday.

See Mark 12 & 13

No comments:

Post a Comment