Wednesday, April 6, 2011

LENT 2011, Day 25

Last night before I fell asleep I thought how easily a list of prayers could be misunderstood if the reader only saw the list and not the heart. This morning in my earliest thoughts, God reminded me that it is 'the effectual fervent prayer' of the righteous man that availeth much. (Conspicuously King James from memory!) He also reminded me of the fervent prayers of the 400 prophets of Baal, who shouted at their god, even cutting themselves to show their devotion...all useless.

The thing about prayer time is not what we say - but that it comes from the heart. Man looks on the outward appearance. God looks on the heart. People can have absolute devotion to the wrong thing, and their prayers go no where, because they are not praying to God.... And - it's not about the length of the prayer, even when God is the one we are talking to. In fact, His communication to me is often concise, and, in like manner, He hears the briefest fervent prayer uttered from heart and lips - or even heart and mind. That truth has to be foundational.

That being said, He loves our praise - but not artificial praise that comes from one whose life is not a reflection of His.... A life intentionally and purposefully lived in response to His love is the greatest offering of praise - not just what comes from the lips. But - when He is reflected in our lives and His praises come from our hearts - - when praise is poured out as an offering to Him He is glorified and honored in the way He desires to be honored.

I needed to clarify that after sharing my list of praises to God. They constitute very intentional praise. And, both my 'Adoration' section of my prayers and my 'Thanksgiving' section of my prayers are where I find 'attitude adjustment.' I didn't offer them yesterday as a formula - but as a springboard. We are instructed to come into His presence with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise - but unless it's from the heart, we're not not getting through the court entry.

Now for Mark 2!

It is so incredible reading the accounts of Jesus' life with specific locations so freshly in mind. At the beginning of Mark 2, Mark reports that Jesus had been gone from Capernaum for several days - and was back 'home.' Capernaum was His home base for the 3 years of His ministry. It is where Simon (not yet Peter) lived. It is where Simon's mother-in-law lived.

I had never paid attention to this detail before: Jesus was in his own home - very likely technically Simon's home - when the 4 men tried to get their friend in to Jesus, and finding the way blocked by too many people, and being desperate, went through the roof. The went to great lengths to get their friend to Jesus. They had absolute confidence that if they could only get him to Jesus, Jesus could heal him. They demonstrated their faith tangibly.

Yeshua (the actual name He was known by during His time on earth didn't disappoint. But He did raise the ire of the Pharisees.

I'm amazed that I have read this story so many times - have certainly visualized the four persistent fellows who carted their friend to the roof and dropped him through - - but never before realized it was the very home Jesus lived in....

Thanks, Mark....

No comments:

Post a Comment