Saturday, April 9, 2011

LENT 2011, Day 28

Before I leap into Mark 4, I want to step back briefly to Mark 3. I didn't pay attention yesterday to the man with the withered hand. Because Mark wrote this in retrospect, his focus is on the attitude of the Pharisees and their intent to find a way to have this miracle worker disposed of....but hiding in that story is the one Jesus was focused on at the moment. It is such an incredible reminder of His love and compassion. When we come to Him - withered - needing His touch, He is there, arms outstretched.... What a difference Jesus made in that man's life. I long to hear the stories! Can you imagine - throughout all of eternity - hearing story after story of God's mercy and grace. Eyes unveiled - seeing clearly with nothing to inhibit full understanding....

That is a perfect segue to Mark 4! Mark 4 introduces Jesus method of teaching through parables. This time, Jesus is by the Sea of Galilee - but out just a little ways in the boat. It is so easy to visualize. The Dead Sea in Israel is the lowest place on planet earth - but the Sea of Galilee is the second lowest - and there are places we saw along the northern shore, where the lay of the land is perfect for picturing Jesus sitting in a boat, with the crowds spreading up onto the hillside - a natural amphitheater - where they can clearly hear him.

He gives the crowds something to think about - and in private, He explains his parables with great care to his disciples so they are privy to understanding the point He is making. Some have ears to hear. Some don't. It is the same today. We cast our seed - His Word - and some soil is receptive to hear, and some is not. Among those who hear, some grow roots, and some wither quickly away. And among those who grow roots, some reproduce just a little, some a lot....

I love that Jesus uses parables - his model of telling stories is a wonderful model for sharing truth. He lets me do that. One of my joys is getting to give a talk I call 'Potato Masher Parables'. Like Jesus, I use objects that are familiar as object lessons for sharing insights. The potato mashers become metaphors and similes for life lessons and a bit of humor. God inspired the idea in 2004 - and I have had the opportunity to share the perspectives and potpourri inherent in Potato Masher Parables 16 times since then - and have another invitation in May on Whidbey Island.

For me, sharing the insights God has given me is an opportunity for me to share His Word - and be a lamp on a lampstand instead of hiding my light under a bushel. It is such a small thing - but it is something God gave me to do - and it is absolutely thrilling to know in those moments that I am right in the center of His divine will. He lets me partner with Him. I am just a vessel. It is the Holy Spirit who uses what God gives me to say to touch hearts. I am absolutely aware of that.

The last story in Mark 4 is the story of several boats crossing the Sea of Galilee together one evening. At that latitude, dark comes quickly, so when the story relates that it was evening, there wasn't much light left - and the story focuses on just one specific boat. Jesus was obviously tired. He laid down on a cushion at the back of the boat and fell asleep. A great windstorm arose. Storms come up quickly and fiercely there. The waves crashing against the boat, hurling it from side to side, were so high they were spilling over into the boat. The men in the boat were concerned that they were going to die. The disciples had just witnessed Jesus' great care for others - and their expression when they awakened him displays their emotional state. "Don't you care?"

Jesus rebuked the wind and said to the sea, "Peace! Be still!" Then He asks them, "Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?"

I come back to this story over and over in my life.

When the boat is rocking its wildest - He is with me. When I feel like I might not make it. He is with me. His assurance is: I am with you always....

Thank you, Lord.

And always a song:

When the storms of life are raging, stand by me
When the storms of life are raging, stand by me
When the world is tossing me like a ship upon the sea
Thou who rulest wind and water, stand by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment