Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A TRIBUTE TO MARJORIE

My friend Marjorie was 98 March 1.  I felt absolutely compelled to drive the 245 miles to see her on her birthday - and did.  March 2 I received word that she passed away early Sunday morning - - the day after our visit, so I am grateful I responded to that compelling nudge to go see her one more time while seeing her alive was possible.

She was on my mind so I texted her daughter a few days ago, at which point I learned that she had just gotten home from arranging for Hospice for her mother.  Her mother; my friend.   I loved having Marjorie as a friend.  At varying times she was an encourager, an advisor, an ally but always she was a friend.  I knew she was in my corner, and I appreciated her intentionality in treasuring our friendship.  It was a two-way street.

Marjorie was a very classy lady.  She served tea properly, and taught me by example.   She is the one who compelled me to purchase a wool plaid skirt from Nordstrom's, with the explanation that every lady must have one in her wardrobe, and in the case of a wool skirt, having only the best will do.

Marjorie was an excellent musician.  That is actually what drew us into friendship in the first place.  She was my accompanist for many years, a joy and privilege I am afraid I often took for granted.

We first met in 1970 at the Montesano Presbyterian Church, where she was the pastor's wife, and played the organ.  Her husband, Paul Crooks, didn't live too long after that, and after his passing, she married a man from their former church, Walt Kaufman.  He and his first wife had been dear friends of the Crooks when they pastored in Chehalis, and after each lost their mates, they found comfort and joy in their newly found relationship.

I'm going to miss Marjorie - - but I celebrate her life with enormous joy!  She lived life to the full, and made the world a better place for being in it!

Thank you, my dear Marjorie!  I'll see you in heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment