Saturday, March 29, 2014

LENT 2014 - DAY 25: 6-day creation/ vs. evolution

I believe God created the world in 6 days.   I watched Ken Ham and Bill Nye in their recent Creation/ Evolution debate, but nothing that was said made me falter in my belief.   It actually is not a problem for me if people believe it took eons to create the world, and that the 'days' in Genesis could be ages of time instead of literal days.   Even though I accept the account as written what matters to me is that God did it.  In the beginning God....  All that matters to me is that He did it - and that He created man from the dust of the earth, making the timespan of man to date approximately 5775 years.  

I thought both men did a good job of representing what they each believe, and I could understand the logic of Bill Nye's views, since he does not believe in God...but I know God can do anything - even get the appropriate animals to the right continents or create new ones at that point if needed.  

One of the concerns expressed was that teaching Creation from the Bible will keep bright young people from becoming scientists.  I disagree.  Innovation, creativity and imagination are all consistent with living out Christian faith.  If we are created in God's image and likeness, why wouldn't we create?  He does!   There are lots of Christian scientists!

I'm grateful I was inspired to go back to the basics for this time of spiritual reflection and renewal leading to the commemoration of the death and resurrection of Jesus (Yeshua).   It is a solid foundation.   When dark days come - - and they will - - I can still hold fast to that foundation.  Bible basics are good to review!

If you haven't seen the debate, you can watch it online.

No comments:

Post a Comment